Recent Posts

Aberdare
on 7/21/10 1:40 pm - Bellevue, WA
Topic: RE: Need a support group (Sleeve) by Seatac Airport!
Hi Stephanie,    My group is at Overlake Hospital in bellevue and its great. Sat 10:00-Noon and thursday 6:00PM -8:00PM  Call me if you would like to talk  206-794-6006
Jay

Aberdare
on 7/21/10 1:30 pm - Bellevue, WA
Topic: RE: Plastic Surgeon Recommendation Please
Dr. Min  in kirkland  came to our support group and he impressed us all. Understands wt loss
surgery, went to med school with one of our bariatric surgeons.  good luck
Jay

Mary1966
on 7/21/10 4:57 am, edited 7/21/10 4:57 am
Topic: RE: Taking my first steps
After further reflection, I have decided to not have surgery at this time.   Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Beebear
on 7/21/10 3:38 am - Seattle, WA
Topic: RE: Taking my first steps
Hi Mary!

Congratulations on taking your first steps.  I am over 1-1/2 years out now and have been at my goal weight for about 7 months.  I had type II diabetes and a pretty severe case.  This is why I had the surgery.  My blood sugars have been normal since the day after my surgery and have been ever since.

I've been in the U of W support group for about two years and what I've found is there have only been about 2 people who haven't had complications from their lap bands.  Granted, there are many more who have had gastric bypass but it appears that this seems to be the trend.  It also appears that people with gastric bypass will lose more quickly and a greater amount of their excess weight.

Is there a certain reason why you want the lap band?  Have you been able to attend any groups and talk with those who have gone this route?

I don't mean to sway you at all.  The decision is deeply personal and I wish you the best of luck.  Whichever way you decide to go, you will feel so much stronger and healthier!

Keep us posted!

Nancy

Everything is alright in the end.  If it's not alright, it's not the end.

- My mom

Beebear
on 7/21/10 3:28 am - Seattle, WA
Topic: Plastic Surgeon Recommendation Please
Hi Everyone,

I am researching plastic surgeons in the Seattle area and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations.  Right now, I'm leaning towards Dr. Marosan.  Has anyone used him?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks to all!

Nancy

Everything is alright in the end.  If it's not alright, it's not the end.

- My mom

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 7/21/10 2:45 am - WA
Stephanie, There is a very nice group that meets at the Auburn Hospital the 3rd Thursday of each month. Call Roberta Christian at (206) 353-8146 for any questions you might have.

Merrilou
LisaAnn
on 7/20/10 6:36 am - WA
Topic: RE: Madigan Question
I am not sure since you are out of state. What I would do is call Pam Bergenhire at 253-968-0235. She is the Bariatric Surgery Coordinator at Madigan. She can tell you who is performing the Duodenal Switch surgery now that Dr. Martin is deployed. Then, tell your PCP to refer you to that specific surgeon. I also would speak with Pam (She is very nice) and tell her your issue and ask her how you should go about it. You may be able to do most of the Pathway in your state and submit it to Madigan so you do not have to have multiple travel dates up here.

Good luck! Let me know if you need any other information!! 

PS: Madigan is awesome and their surgical staff is wonderful, so you will be in GREAT hands!!!!!

Lisa

229 / 148/ 135
Open DS Surgery with Dr. Martin @ Madigan 
Revision from 2006 - VBG
Hernia repair and tummy tuck - 05/12/2010

Donna Childress
on 7/20/10 4:10 am - Maple Valley, WA
Hi Stephanie,
I am a member of SPS (South Puget Sound) WLS support group.  We are a fairly new group and our leader is Karrie Lynn Massotti - she was recently certified as a group leader.  We are a small very friendly group - looking to expand.  We meet generally twice a month.  On a Thursday evening and also on a Saturday.  We do not cater to any one particular surgery - we are open to all surgeries and also people searching out the various surgeries.  We discuss anything and everything members want or need to discuss.  Our next meeting is on August 12th, at 6:00 p.m. at HD Hotspurs, located in the Kent Valley off of Washington Street.  Some people may think it's strange that we meet at restaurants, but we all still love to eat, and eating has been and will always be a part of life!  We'd love to have you come join us and if you'd like further information about our group you may contact me at:  [email protected]  or check out the SPS site on OH or also on facebook.  We meet at different restaurants or different places for each meeting to make it fair to people that come from different locations.  We are always open to new meeting suggestions, topics, and new faces.  Please come join us as my guest.
Sincerely,
Donna/ragadolly

Donna Childress
on 7/20/10 3:55 am - Maple Valley, WA
Topic: RE: Support Group in Auburn
Hi Merrilou, I haven't been on this site in a long time.  Just saw your post about the Auburn Hospital support group too late to attend the July meeting.  Do you know when the August meeting will be?  Could you please post further information about this meeting? 
Donna

sdld2001
on 7/20/10 1:37 am - Summerville, SC
Topic: Madigan Question
My PCP is going to refer me to Madigan for surgery, but this morning neither he or his nurse sounded too confident they knew how to go about it since he's a civilian doctor. We live out of state and we have Tricare Reserve Select.

So maybe this is a stupid question, but how do they refer me to an MTF surgeon? I thought I read that in some instances the referrals go through the actual tricare website and you could even track the referrals/authorizations. But since he's not part of all that, the referral would have to go directly to the bariatric clinic there right? Where do they send this referral? The nurse did say to me before I left today, "Well if you can get me a contact or a phone number it would be helpful and speed this along." That's when I was like - oooooh hell, this isn't looking too promising! I'm just afraid they are going to be fumbling with this for weeks/months on end.
Mindee

HW - 274 / SW - 265 / CW - 178 / GW 140          High BMI 53.5 / Current BMI 34.8  
Most Active