Recent Posts

Anne S.
on 8/28/10 12:19 pm
Topic: RE: Need a support group (Sleeve) by Seatac Airport!
Hi Stephanie,
I posted this a little bit ago for all of Washington folks, cuz your inquiry spurred me on to do so. Please give our group a try, I think you'll like the warm welcome. :)

___

Just wanted to drop a note in here to invite you to the Seattle DS WLS Support Group (everybody who has had any type of WLS is welcome, though, VSGers, RNYers, lap banders, and of course those who are currently researching their options).

We meet once a month, the 2nd Saturday of the month, from 3pm-6pm, at the Sizzler in Tukwila.

Dr. Rabkin, from San Francisco, comes to this meeting once every 4 months, and gives a small talk and presentation on the pros and cons and history of Weight Loss Surgery. It's a very good, educational hour. We then have introductions, and discussion, and comraderie, and chatting time.

It's unusual, I realize, to meet at a restaurant, especially an all-you-can-eat type, but we like it, for the most part (and to me, it means "no shame" for being the shape and size we are).

We are in the back meeting room. Most of us just order food when we get there, then head back to the room.

Please join us for the Seattle DS Support Group.

Sizzler Restaurant, Tukwila, WA
Saturday, Sept. 11
3-6pm

Everyone is welcome.

We've had people come who are looking into weight loss surgery, people who have had surgery, people who have had RNY, VBG, VSG, and lap band. Anybody and everybody is welcome.

-anne s.

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

Anne S.
on 8/28/10 10:44 am, edited 8/28/10 12:15 pm
Topic: Seattle DS (and other forms of WLS) Support Group
Hi fellow Washingtonians,
Just wanted to drop a note in here to invite you to the Seattle DS WLS Support Group (everybody who has had any type of WLS is welcome, though, and of course those who are currently researching their options).

We meet once a month, the 2nd Saturday of the month, from 3pm-6pm, at the Sizzler in Tukwila.

Dr. Rabkin, from San Francisco, comes to this meeting once every 4 months, and gives a small talk and presentation on the pros and cons and history of Weight Loss Surgery. It's a very good, educational hour. We then have introductions, and discussion, and comraderie, and chatting time.

It's unusual, I realize, to meet at a restaurant, especially an all-you-can-eat type, but we like it, for the most part (and to me, it means "no shame" for being the shape and size we are).

We are in the back meeting room. Most of us just order food when we get there, then head back to the room.

Please join us for the Seattle DS Support Group.

Sizzler Restaurant, Tukwila, WA
Saturday, Sept. 11
3-6pm

Everyone is welcome.

We've had people come who are looking into weight loss surgery, people who have had surgery, people who have had RNY, VBG, VSG, and lap band. Anybody and everybody is welcome.

-anne s.

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

Merrilou Gronholdt
on 8/27/10 3:26 am - WA
Topic: Acid Reflux
Last week I saw a artical about taking Zink for Acid Reflux. Well I tried Zink Tabs and it worked great for me!

Merrilou
Amy R.
on 8/25/10 7:10 pm, edited 8/25/10 7:11 pm
Topic: RE: Where are you in Washington? Care to share a few details about yourself?
Hi! I don't get on the boards often enough anymore and just saw your OP. I'm Amy, I'm about 18 months out and down around 150 pounds. The last 18 months have been the best I've had in a long, long time.

I live down in the SE pierce county area =)

*edited to add:  I'm 46 and the mom of two beautiful daughters, ages 27 and 15
netta
on 8/24/10 2:41 pm
Topic: madigan/ft. lewis support group
There is a Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery Support Group on Ft.Lewis, for anyone who is thinking of Weight Loss surgery or have already had it done.We are NOT a part of the Pathway,we are sponsored by the surgeons at Madigan.
It is a self led group,from people like me that want to give back and help others,we offer support,questions answered,understanding,Surgery friendly potluck/clothing exchanges
We are located at the ACS Building at 12th and Liggett Ave on joint base Lewis/McChord,across the street from Waller Hall,we meet every Thursday,5-7pm.
Helping out the Military Community,throughout this journey,so come join us
Redd
(deactivated member)
on 8/24/10 1:42 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Topic: RE: Support Group wanted
Well, I don't think you'd recognize poor old Sunnyvale now--there's a million people living in the South Bay now, and it ain't pretty. 

Sadly, although I really love Santa Cruz, it's getting insanely expensive.  I can get an entire apartment in WA for what I would consider myself lucky to find in a ONE bedroom roommate situation.  As I'm living on SS and a small pension, and can't find even a part-time job, I really need to find somewhere else to live.  I have a sister living in OR, and a nephew and his family in Vancouver, so that's where I'm landing.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a part-time job of some sort, and I'm sure I'll enjoy WA.  I have been to Portland, which is an interesting town (love the Rose Garden), and to Seattle, which has a lovely vibe, and I really enjoy the history of this area, so I'm sure I'll find lots of stuff to do.

I don't mind driving to Vancouver if that's the closest support group because I've been driving to Monterey, CA, and that's an hour from Santa Cruz, so the distance won't be a problem for me.

By the way, what is the address and usual dates for the Vancouver group?

Thanks for your help.
Hislady
on 8/24/10 12:24 pm - Vancouver, WA
I used to live in Sunnyvale, CA so often popped over to Santa Cruz when I needed a little feel of the great NW. Got too crazy down there for me tho and had to return to my home town, that's been 35 years ago!
KARA_TOP
on 8/24/10 5:15 am - richland, WA
Topic: RE: Have my first appt with Dr Spitz on Aug 26th, can anyone tell me what to expect?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you!  I sent you a friend request so you can view my profile.  I might even update it now that I know someone may look at it..haha.  So to answer your questions...

1. My weighloss goes back to pre-surgery (ever pound counts).  I lost 30 pounds before I married my husband.  Then when I was jumping therough insurance hoops to get approved I decided to jump in with both feet and completely change my lifestyle (which i was gonna have to do anyways) I lost 62 pounds in the 6 months leading up to surgery.  The day I walked into the hospital I weighed 281 pounds.  Today I weigh 149.  I have lost 132 pounds since surgery, most of that being in the first year.

2.  I did not have the band, I had gastric bypass.  I was sore as all hell!  My insurance didnt cover the band at the time and on a personal level I knew I would need something with that little extra layer of protection to keep me from even thinking about indulging (dumping syndrome).

3.  As far as getting scheduled, once I was approved and jumped through all the hoops (there's and the insurance companies) It was probably a month and a half out from the day they called to schedule.  I dont know what they require at this point in time (I went through this almost 2 years ago)....but back then I had to have a sleep study done, chest x-ray, ultrasound, nutritionist visit (she made sure I knew what to expect food and vitamin wise), there were 3 visits (1 before and 2 after surgery)......

Good luck on your journey!  You have a wondeful surgeon!
~Kara

All time highest: 370
Started this process: 343
Day of surgery: 281
Current: 150
Goal: 140'ish
Wow thats alot of info
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/10 4:46 pm
Topic: Did you or someone you know use Dr Clinch?
Please tell me your thoughts about the procedure you had and using Dr Clinch.  He came highly referred to me, but I don't see his name on this site much.
(deactivated member)
on 8/23/10 1:51 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
LOL--I agree that the rainy winter has had me a little leery of the move, but my sister and her hubby are really happy that I'm going to be closer to family.  It gets really rainy here in the Santa Cruz mountains, so I'm not too worried!

Thanks for the tip re: the bariatric surgeon.  If I can't locate one, I'll be sure to contact you.  I have often driven to Vancouver to visit my nephew, and it's not a bad drive at all.

Thanks for your help.
Most Active