Recent Posts

dawneb
on 10/22/10 12:08 pm - Pacific, WA
Topic: RE: Where are you in Washington? Care to share a few details about yourself?
Hi all!  I'm a 41F married, with two kids, 6 and 7.  Had lap band in 2007.  Have had many problems with it and am now back to what I weighed pre-op, sigh, and then some!!  Going in Monday for an EGD to make sure I dont have a stricture and then hopefully revising to VSG in December. I live in the Auburn area.  Glad this site is here!

RobH
on 10/22/10 4:31 am - WA
Topic: Dr. Kjorstad at Madigan??
Good morning all! 
Well, I am getting there!  I have finished my pathway program at Madigan and have my surgery consult scheduled with Dr. Randy Kjorstad.  I have researched him but can't find any reviews or much information.  He has co-authored a couple of papers with Dr. Sebesta but thats about all I can find.  Please let me know if anyone out there has any knowledge or information about him.  I feel very comfortable asking for someone else but Dr. Kjorstad may be a great surgeon/doctor so I just need to do my homework and meet with him.  Thank you all in advance!
Chelea Holdt
on 10/21/10 10:58 pm - Portland, OR
Topic: RE: Depression and slow weight loss!

I agree with the other two responses.  My personal experience at about 4-5 months I also had depression, easy to anger, not feeling satisfied in much of anything in my life.  I started talking to a weight loss therapist and she asked me to consider that I was in morning.  Morning of a very old friend (food) who comforted me whenever I needed it.  I know it sounds out there but once I started to consider it and understand where my depression was coming from...  It took several months but I was able to find other things to comfort me. I looked for other things that relieved the stress and pressures in my life.  I turned to exercise, art, gardening and watching movies.  Find those things that make you happy and learn to enjoy them again.  The people who say this is easy do not know what they are talking about.  Congrats on your weight loss thus far. Believe you will succeed in your goals :o)
Hislady
on 10/21/10 1:01 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Any support groups in Vancouver, Washington?

There is an excellent group with Dr. Dally and Dr. Cagle. I dont have the info on hand but if you go to swmedicalcenter.com and look under bariatric surgery it should steer you to the support group. If you have any trouble finding it get back to me and I'll see what I can find out.

kaper
on 10/21/10 11:57 am
Topic: Any support groups in Vancouver, Washington?
I really need to go to a support group. I live in Longview but I am willing to drive to Vancouver. Hope someone can help.
wdp1015
on 10/20/10 10:15 am
Topic: RE: clothing exchange/meet and greet
Thanks Merrilou,

I will give her a call.  I'm looking for another support group to attend. The more the better for me.

I think I will go ahead and plan this event for early January, there seems to be a few on the VSG board that are interested.

Wendy

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/20/10 10:03 am
Topic: RE: Need some help getting labs a little better - Spokane Endo, anyone???
I suggest you do a shout out to Michelle (vitalady.com). She sells vitamins to post-bariatric folks like us, but gives info here on OH, and doesn't push vitamins ( she doesn't even mention she sells them).

She is in Puyallup, but ships anywhere, and has things we can't get anywhere else formulated for our needs, like dry forms of fat soluble vites, and the high potency dry D.

Unfortunately, I have yet to meet a Dr, (not even my bariatric surgeon) or Nut. that had a good enough grasp of long term post ops to give adequate advice. I have grown to trust Michelles advice over all else.

If you haven't already, get comprehensive labs (usually takes like over 20 vials of blood, so if they only drew a few, you know you'll need more) and get a copy for yourself (Michelle also has the list of labs we should have drawn).

Doctors usually only mention things that have been flagged by the lab, as too high or low, and gone out of range. You need to be aware when things are close to going out of range, so you can be proactive. Like for vitamin D, the range is 30 to 100, and if it goes from 80 to 35 over several blood draws, they won't mention it because it's in range, but the fact that it's plummeting is not good, so you have to catch those things yourself. I use a spreadsheet to track all of my labs, and if you want a copy, l can try and email it to you. You'll have to delete my info, but it already lists all the tests, and the ranges.
Tricia W.
on 10/19/10 2:01 pm - Yakima, WA
Topic: RE: Moving from TX to Redmond, WA
Welcome to Washington.....hope you brought your umbrellas, lol.  I have lived in Washington my entire 42 (almost) years.  I have not had surgery yet because I can't decide which type of wls is best for me.  I really wanted the VSG but my insurance doesn't cover it.   Anyways, Dr. Oh in Federal Way has a great reputation so you can check him out on this site.  As for a family doc and a pediatrician, I can't help because I live Yakima.  I hope someone else can give you some recommendations.  Good luck on the move and again, welcome to the Pacific Northwest. 
Merrilou Gronholdt
on 10/18/10 11:29 pm - WA
Topic: RE: clothing exchange/meet and greet
Wendy you might contact Roberta Christian (206) 353-8146, She hosts a Support Group at the Auburn Hospital . It is the 3rd Thursday of each month at 7pm.

Merrilou
OneMoreTimeAgain
on 10/17/10 12:25 pm - Redmond, WA
Topic: RE: Moving from DFW to Redmond need new doc
I totally second the recomendation for Dr. Nguyen. He fellowshiped in WLS and as far as i know that is the ONLY kind of surgery he does. I was so excited, I was gonna get my surgery done by him. But then found out that there were only 3 groups of surgens in WA I could go to per my insurance. His office assistant Larane was so nice she gathered all my info I had sent there for my 5 yr. weight history and found me another Dr that did sleeve that I could go to. They are very helpfull.There phone number is 425-467-3957 Good luck to you
Most Active