May 1st/2nd Exercise Post

auntlorlee
on 5/2/06 3:08 am - Bellingham, WA
Hey everyone. Sorry I missed ya yesterday. I was home sick in bed I am still not feeling well today. And I have a seriously bad attitude about my weightloss this month. I know part of it is my own darn fault. I can't seem to stop the munchies in the evenings. I don't eat bad things (sugarfree jello, cheese, turkey and cream cheese roll ups) but I am eating nonetheless. I know part of it is TOM this week. I just am so frustrated after losing 14lbs in April to being 2lbs heavier at the present time than I was a month ago. I have my nurtritionist appt in 2 days and was hoping to be at a 100+ lb loss. I was at a 96lb loss this time last month... I don't get it. I walk alot and don't eat very much but can't seem to lose. I know I am just being silly since I HAVE lost 94lbs. But not losing in over a month is frustrating. SO..... on to exercise. I am walking today at lunch hoping it will help my attitude today. We shall see... What are you going to do to move your butts today??? Lori
Beth C.
on 5/2/06 12:21 pm - Tacoma, WA
Lori, I feel your pain.....regarding the munchies and hoping to lose more weight than I really did, etc. It's a bummer. What I've started doing when I hit a stall is to make sure I drink atleast 2-3 protein drinks per day and journal my food consumption. I see my surgeon every few days at work and I was talking to him about being bummed because I wasn't losing. He told me track my intake for a couple of days.....wow...what an eye opener. I thought I was getting about 700-900 calories in....it was more like 1000-1200. I also looked at WHAT I was eating/why I was eating it, etc....realized it was out of boredome or my mouth just wanted something....hello ice/gum/more water, etc. I've since cut my calories back to about 800 or so and I'm back to losing 2-4 pounds per week (except for the 2weeks around my cycle). Hey, I'm thrilled with a 10-20 lb loss in a month....slow and steady wins the race. My surgeon also has convinced me to concentrate more on my health and BMI than the stupid numbers on the scale. Good thing I see him so often, he keeps me majorly motivated (and keeps me from being toooooo bad while at work...hahaha) Know where I can get a cheap cow bell for him??? As for excersie, I take the stairs (2-4 flights) several times per day at work. I need to start walking when I get home since it's light out longer, but I make the mistake of sitting down when I get home. I'd rather ride a bike than walk, so maybe I should get one for my 5 month post-op anniversary present. Hope you're feeling better and able to boost your attitude. As you well know, you're not alone. Take care, Beth
kdietsch
on 5/2/06 1:42 pm - Everett, WA
Hey Lori, Don't feel blue!!! We are all here with you!! (that is supposed to be a group hug, but it won't work). Here's what I think, you have increased your walking, so that you are building MUSCLE which weighs more than FAT. If you have been keeping a record of your exercise take it with you to the nutritionist. ALSO-- it is NORMAL to gain water weight-- or what have you at the TOM. It is also normal for your body to crave foods. The nutritionist I visited told me the reason we crave chocolate is because of our bodies needing more MAGNESIUM at that TOM.... so maybe increase your intake of that. And if you are at a plateau then try eating differently and or different foods to jump start you. I found a bean plateau buster recipe on the OH website (somewhere). Maybe that would help? And from what I understand it is very normal to slow down the weight loss after a few months... So be gentle on yourself! Make a list of the positive things you have done in the past few months, don't concentrate on the weightloss! (I don't even own a scale-- after a month I am down one dress size -- a little more than that-- I can see "new contours" or at least contours I haven't seen in 10 years!) As to the exercise-- I have switched to walking in the afternoons. It is much easier and I find that I can involve my daughter, take longer walks ( 3 miles yesterday and today), and be more flexible with the time. I might still go back to mornings, but for this week I am trying the afternoon thing. Take care of yourself. Get over your bug and back on your feet. Blessings Strength and Peace. Kelly
Most Active