April in Seattle

Ape
on 4/11/06 3:35 am - Bothell, WA
My husband is hoping to have RNY surgery in July 2006. I am a school teacher and will be on summer break then. I am looking for a family support group for people having WLS here in the East Lake Washington area. Does anyone have any advice? He is getting depressed and anxious and we all could use some support.
auntlorlee
on 4/11/06 4:36 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi April! Welcome to the board! If you look up in the far right corner of this page, there is a "Support Groups" button to click on. Select Washington and it will give you a whole list of support groups in the area. I don't know of any specifically that would be the best to go to since I live wayyyy up north. But hopefully someone else on here can give you some insight! Good luck and again, WELCOME!!! Take care! Lori
findinglisa
on 4/11/06 9:11 am - Bothell, WA
Hi April, Dr. Lauter was my surgeon as well, and I also live in Bothell! There is a support group that meets at Evergreen Hospital the second Tuesday of each month at 7 PM. We have lots of family members attend, as well as the actual bypass patients. I think you'll find that both you and your husband can benefit from the meetings. In fact, I'm going to the meeting this evening. Lisa
kdietsch
on 4/11/06 1:53 pm - Everett, WA
Hi April! I know all about the depressed and anxious part! I just got my LAP BAND last week, and am really happy I chose this route. I would recommend it to anyone! From what I understand the weightloss isn't as fast as with the gastric bypass, but it does happen!! (And with fewer risks) It is now legal in the states, and with almost anything the status quo is difficult change. I predict in 5 years we won't hear much about the bypass, but lots about the band.... Please research both! The more knowledgeable you both are about both procedures the less anxiety you will have. For me knowledge usually conquers fear! I found Dr. Kuri (LAP BAND Dr. in TJ) from the Obesity Help website, but there are quite a few Dr.s in this area who also are hot on the trail of catching up to the expertise of "non-American" doctors. Good Luck and hang in there. Kelly
Mcfatpants
on 4/14/06 2:16 am - bellevue, WA
April, I live in Bellevue and am the Chapter Leader of our Support group. Email me with your number and we can talk about issues and what not. Our group is gearing up for our summer meetings and you are all welcome to join us.
Most Active