first bite

skt0435
on 4/4/06 11:47 am - spanaway, WA
Ok - I will be 4 weeks post op and will be able to start soft foods. I am looking for more ideas other than KFC mashed potatoes and Taco Bell refried beans. Any ideas?
lilacs
on 4/4/06 2:36 pm - Marysville, WA
Are you using any proteins shakes? These were a life-saver for me and still are, two years out. I loved cottage cheese in tomato soup, the Cheesehead twisted string cheese, ricotta cheese, cream chease, (Can you tell I love cheese?!). I made cream of wheat with milk and thinned it down - yummy and comforting. I loved NSA applesauce with peanut butter, the inside of a boiled egg (actually made them like deviled eggs and just ate the inside). I ate alot of yogurt, protein pudding, and Vanilla Custard was my mainstay. You should try it, it's like velvet and goes down so easy. Vanilla Custard 4 eggs, beaten 1 can evaporated milk 1 c. milk 1/2 c. Splenda Granular 2 t. vanilla pinch of salt Whisk all together and pour, thru a sieve into 6 - 4ounce custard cups. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for JUST 25-26 minutes. They should still be slightly jiggly in the center. Serve warm or chilled. Good luck Linda -208
skt0435
on 4/5/06 1:56 am - spanaway, WA
Thanks Linda - this is a good start for me. I was kinda getting burned out on the shakes but I did find a protein water that works well for me. I have a shake now and then but I like variety. So what are you using for the protein shakes. I know that once I start on soft foods, that my protein level will increase. and i am looking forward to that. If you have more ideas, send them to me PLEASE.
lilacs
on 4/5/06 7:34 am - Marysville, WA
I absolutely love the Protein Delite ones. They are all very good and not overly sweet with that proteiny taste. I really doctor them up, too, not cause they don't taste good on their own, I just love to experiment with them. I use fat free cream cheese in them, the sf Davinci (or other brands) syrups, I mix the chocolate ones with cold left over coffee. I also like the ISOfruit in canteloupe.......awesome, I think. The IDS cinn-vanilla is very good in yogurt.
lilacs
on 4/5/06 7:36 am - Marysville, WA
I meant to say the ISOfruit Canteloupe flavor..........have ordered the green apple one, will let you know if it is yummy. The ISO fruits protein drinks are like juice, not milky at all, just thin and so cool tasting.
rayehawk
on 4/14/06 5:59 am - Eastside Seattle 'burb, WA
As a patient of DocOh, anything with milk in it is very poor choice. You may dump, you most likely get bloated, gassy, and hurt! There's a reason why milk & sugar is verboten in our program. Most of us are painfully milk intolerant, and even if you don't mind the pain, your family won't like the pain you inflict on them. Your dogs will even run screaming from the room. Potatoes are also poor choice, as is cream of wheat, etc. Many of us will also get gassy & bloated (painful gas) from these kind of things. Stick to lower carb, soft protein foods . . . cottage cheese, any cheese, eggs (preferably soft ones), refried beans, blended chili, very soft, chopped meat, etc. Bean soups are great - lentil, split pea, pinto, etc. Also, homemade veggie soup, made without potatoes, with good broth, celery, carrots, onion, garlic, zukes, cabbage, beans, cauliflower, etc. Coo****il very soft, blend or chop if desired. I like to make this very thick, like porridge. And remember to measure (1 ounce = 2 Tblspoons), and stop eating in 10-15 min, even if not finished. Also, your food will not provide any protein . . . you don't digest, nor absorb it. That's why we are required to take 3-5 shakes/day. The reason we even eat it is because not only is it low carb, but it's filling, and that's *why* we eat. We could get by on nothing but protein shakes and vites/minerals. BTW, I've never heard of protein water . . . what is it? Brand? Where to buy, etc? Good luck . . . don't worry too much - plenty of time to eat . . . and it's prolly not gonna be fun for a while.
skt0435
on 4/14/06 6:47 am - spanaway, WA
It is called ISOPURE Water - I found it at GNC. 20grms of protein in the water and it comes in difference flavors. I really like it.It has really helped me when i couldn't get the protein down (burned out on it). Susan
auntlorlee
on 4/5/06 3:00 am - Bellingham, WA
I have to ask... didn't your surgeon give you a list of foods that you could eat? No offense, just curious. Lori
skt0435
on 4/5/06 3:20 am - spanaway, WA
Not really - it just says - soft foods. scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, soup with cooked vegetables - not much - that is why i left a message on the board. I need some ideas.
auntlorlee
on 4/5/06 3:25 am - Bellingham, WA
Ok, I was just wondering! I found that the instant mashed potatoes with a little bit of cheese melted in was very satisfying to my new pouch. It was quite soothing actually. I couldn't do scrambled eggs but poached eggs were ok. And refried beans with cheese were a godsend to me too. Hope you get some more ideas! Lori
Most Active