Wish Center of Washington??

Tara S.
on 3/30/06 7:14 am - Seattle, WA
Hi! I've been reading profiles like crazy, and have come across a few folks who were going to have WLS through Wish Center of Washington, and ended up switching. One person said they were told they needed to pay extra at the last minute. The others didn't say why. I'm curious and concerned about this, as they are the folks I picked. If you had your surgery there, can you tell me about your experience? At least, tell me if it was positive, negative, or somewhere in the middle? Would you recommend them? Thanks! Tara
findinglisa
on 3/30/06 8:01 am - Bothell, WA
My understanding is that they require a $2000 fee up front for ongoing support, and this fee is not covered by insurance. That is what kept me from going there. It may be worth it, I don't know, but I don't have that kind of money to invest. There are a lot of doctors in our area that come highly recommended that do not require a support fee. In Bellevue you have Dr. Lauter at Overlake Hospital (my surgeon whom I adore!) or Dr. Clinch at Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland (I've heard great things about him, too). Neither of them require any type of fee.
Tara S.
on 3/30/06 8:47 am - Seattle, WA
Hmmm... that's interesting. She told me over the phone that they required $500 for that, and IF you went to their psychologist, it would be another $275, but that you could find one in-network with your insurance for just the cost of the copay. So I wonder if they'll do a switcheroo on me tomorrow. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone else that has used them. Tara
kristibo
on 3/31/06 4:35 am - Redmond, WA
Hi Tara, I had my surgery with the WISH center back in October of '04. My experience with them was very good, in regards to my pre-op appts, my surgery and my post-op appts. I loved my surgeon, he did an excellent job, in fact this morning after I got out of the shower, I was admiring the fact that you can barely see the incisions from my surgery (they are so miniscule and healed so well!!!) I did have to pay a support fee of about $1900 (I think) out of pocket. Because Renton is a pain to get to for me with the traffic, I have only ever made it to 1 support meeting. So, I feel a little cheated of that money. I have also had problems with their billing department. My insurance was supposed to pay 100%, but for some reason never received one particular bill or they misplaced a bill and before I knew it I had been sent to a collections agency. I have had the worst time dealing with the billing office in chicago trying to get my calls returned and to actually getting the situation dealt with. They actually handle the billing out of the renton office. Now, aside from that problem, I really was pleased with the care I received and my surgery was a great success. I would probably go there again. Thanks. Kristi
kristibo
on 3/31/06 5:22 am - Redmond, WA
sorry...they actually do NOT handle the billing out of the Renton office, it is handled out of a billing department in Chicago. This billing problem didn't even arise for me until almost a year after my surgery. Good luck! Kristi
auntlorlee
on 3/31/06 5:33 am - Bellingham, WA
HIJACK! HI KRISTI! Long time no see! How are ya doing? Lori 281/189/140 49 lbs to goal! 8 lbs to the Century Club!
kristibo
on 3/31/06 5:38 am - Redmond, WA
Hi Lori, Doing great!! Lovin life at 145!! I just read your exercise post you are doing so awesome!! I need to get myself on that old exercise band wagon. I bet you are feeling pretty darn good! You are almost a member of the Century Club...woo hoo!!! For some reason I haven't had much time to check the boards, but thought I'd check it out today. Glad to see that you are doing well!! I know the first few months were pretty rough for you. Take care! Kristi
(deactivated member)
on 4/3/06 5:49 am - Kennewick, WA
I was not happy with the $2,000 required support fee which I probably would never have used (I didn't have that kind of money lying around). I also didn't like the required daily paperwork you had to complete and fill out (exercise and food journal). I like doing things at my own pace, and if you didnt do it, your surgery could be postponed. I guess for some people this is needed, but I didn't like it! I chose to use dr. Simonowitz (now retired) at Overlake cuz I live in Bellevue and it was easier for appointments and then to have stayed at Overlake. Dr. Lauter does his patients now, give him a call ... I heard he is an excellent doctor. Good luck with your decision!!
Tara S.
on 4/3/06 6:29 am - Seattle, WA
Thanks for your reply Marlize! Yeah, I'm not happy with the paperwork either, but I figured everyone had to do that. Nice to know that's not the case. They actually reduced their support fee to $500. I was very up-front with them about the issues that had been raised by people here (and other boards) and they said that the $2000 support fee was the biggest complaint they'd encountered, and it was really (ahem) ******g people off, so they cut it down. $500 isn't so bad, but then again, I'm not the type to use the after-support anyway. And I don't like all the paperwork. I'll look into Dr. Lauter - thanks for the recommendation! Tara
rayehawk
on 4/4/06 9:10 am - Eastside Seattle 'burb, WA
I totally recommend Dr. Oh in Federal Way . . . www.OhToBeThin.com. His distal surgery is *the best* IMNHO, and ongoing support is available at several groups in area. I go to Puyallup for support with VitaLady.com. As a matter of fact, I'd suggest that you come to Puyallup next Tues or Wed about 6:30-7:00 pm. Starts 7ish, but you can show up a little early to introduce, chat, etc. Directions at VitaLady.com.
Most Active