OT -- Going to Seattle, Need Hotel Advice

lorisb
on 3/28/06 9:49 pm - Vancouver, WA
I'll be going to Seattle for a convention soon and want to extend my stay so I can actually see the sites. The convention is being held at one of the hotels near the airport so after the convention I want to go someplace else for "fun" (and they'll double our room rates if we extend our stay at that hotel). My husband and I want to definately go to the Sci-Fi museum and Experience Music Project. Maybe even the aquarium and definately the space needle. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a good hotel that has a great view and is wheelchair friendly. Also, if you have suggestions on things to see, let me know. Thanks for the help! Lori
skt0435
on 3/28/06 11:11 pm - spanaway, WA
Lori - try the Edgewater downtown. It is on the water and close to all of the things that you want to see. Susan
kdietsch
on 3/29/06 12:36 pm - Everett, WA
Lori, Hotels in town will be a bit more expensive than those at the airport. I have stayed at the Double Tree (used to be the Red Lion) and had good service there-- they do a lot of the conventions. Also, Des Moines is south of SEATAC, and right on the Water, there might be hotels there worth looking into. Anyway, if you are going to have time you definitely have to see PIKES PLACE MARKET. It is a defining spot for Seattle. Lots of fun things to see, and a great place to find neat Seattle souvenirs. It is also not far from the waterfront by foot, getting to the waterfront from Pikes with a wheel chair that might be a bit of a challenge, but I don't think impossible. Also, if you like ART the Seattle Art Museum is JUST TWO BLOCKS from Pikes Place. It has a great big moving sculpture right outside of it. I don't know what their visiting exhibits are, but they have some neat Permanent exhibits, and Seattle's new Library is UP the hill from SAM. I have never been there, but I have seen pictures and the architecture is awesome. If you want some "fun" take a DUCK ride. It is an amphibious vehicle that takes you on a tour of the bay. Also north of Seattle Center (over the hill) you have the BALLARD LOCKS. This is a neat thing to see as well. Ballard is the "Scandanavian district" South and a bit east of Seattle City Center you have the INTERNATIONAL DISTRICT, and UWAJIMAYAS-- a huge asian store (I haven't been there in years, but it is a real treat) There is a TON of stuff to see and do in Seattle, and the surrounding areas! Enjoy! Kelly
Most Active