Help-1 week post op!!

mkmalcolm
on 3/14/06 5:35 am - Everett, WA
I need help!! I would love to get feedback on how much others are eating after surgery. A lot of seminars I went to made it sound like one wouldn't be hungry after surgery. I have not found this to be the case. I am not sure if it isn't partly psychological. I ate properly for one week, but today I have pushed the limits. I ate double the amount I have eaten daily! The scary part is that I thought this would make me sick-but it didn't. I feel once I go back to work this will help. I am scared that I behaved this way.
lilacs
on 3/14/06 8:49 am - Marysville, WA
First of all.........CONGRATULATIONS on your surgery!! Sometimes, before the nerves heal, it is hard to feel the fullness that you will eventually experience. You need to be careful and not push your limits, though, because you DO NOT want to stretch out your stoma and cause food to flow through too quickly. Right now, you should still be on pureed food. You CAN eat quite a bit of this and not feel full, cause it goes through fairly quickly. I was eating, at this stage (these are the amounts at each meal, but I ate 6 small meals a day. I STILL do and I am 2 years out. This is just what works best for me.): 1/2 c. protein smoothie (protein shake with chunk of banana and 1 T. peanut butter) 1 c. protein shake 1/4 c. mashed potatoes 1/2 c. tomato soup with 2 T. cottage cheese 1 string cheese 1/2 c. yogurt 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce with 2 T. peanut butter These are just approximations and ideas for you. I tried for around 500-600 calories/day and 50-75 grams of protein/day. The best advice I can give you is to journal your protein and calories. I never counted fat or carbs, just stuck to the protein first rule. If you find you can eat way to much at each sitting (and I mean more than 1/4-1/2 c. DENSE protein at a sitting) then talk to your doc. Dense food should sit like a rock if you eat too much - you will definately KNOW that you over-ate. Good luck and if you would like to ask me any other questions, I am happy to TRY and help!! Linda -208
kdietsch
on 3/14/06 1:16 pm - Everett, WA
Hi Mary, I haven't been banded yet, but I have been doing a lot of reading of the message boards about it. The Yahoo group from my Dr. ( DR. Kuri in TJ) has been most helpful. The long term bandsters have been telling the newbies that after the initial loss (due to being on liquids and pureed food) usually stops around the time you are able to start foods at the 4-6 week period. And then you may not lose again until you have had 3-5 fills because you won't have good restriction. (although I have read of some who have done great on just a couple of fills) They call this period "Bandster He**" because everyone that goes through it gets totally frustrated and ticked off at their bands because they are not losing! They also talk about the difference between "head hunger" and "real hunger". Good Luck. Kelly
auntlorlee
on 3/15/06 1:12 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi Mary! I agree with Linda. If you have had the RNY, your pouch is healing right now. The nerves are still suffering the effects of anesthesia and surgery and are not working properly. I went through the exact same thing you are going through. I too felt like I could eat too much. And I was HUNGRY! I am still HUNGRY when it's time to eat! I never went through a period of time when I wasn't. I bet if you actually measure what you have been eating, you will find that it isn't that much really. Good Luck to you! Lori 281/195/140 55lbs to goal!
mkmalcolm
on 3/15/06 7:57 am - Everett, WA
Thank you all for your help. Immediately after I posted this message, I got sick. Big learning lesson! I went for a walk with my boyfriend-I felt so great and positive again. Then went to the doctor today, Eight days out and I've only lost ten pounds. Sadly-I am retaining fluids. I hate you fluids Then my doctor rubs it in and tells me most people as overweight as I am would have lost 25 pounds. Um-thanks, Dr. Thirlby.Plus-I am still pretty young. This is discouraging. I know people that don't even exercise and lost 50-60 lbs the first month. Aaaagghhh!I worried that I would have this surgery and only lose fifty ponds. I hope I am not manifesting this! I guess what I am trying to say is this is a very up and down experience.
MollyRae
on 3/15/06 9:19 am - Clarkston, WA
Mary, I am sorry that you are feeling like this. I know how you feel about only losing a certain amount and then seeing everyone else lose more. But everyone does their own thing and you may lose more next week than everyone else does. Don't sweat it. It will probably even itself out. That really was not nice of the doctor, but you will not fail, just exercise and eat what you know is right, you will be fine. You will have ups and downs, but eventually there will be more positives than negitives I am sure! keep your chin up! Molly
Beth C.
on 3/15/06 11:13 am - Tacoma, WA
Congratulations on your surgery. I have found that some days it seems that I can eat more than on other days, even if eating the same foods. As time goes on, you'll become in tune with your body.....how it tells you to STOP PUTTING FOOD IN THE MOUTH, PLEASE....lol. I tend to have one or two large/strong hiccups...if I eat more after experiencing this....well, I regret it. I try to stop eating when I feel comfortable. I really didn't get accustomed to how much I could eat until I was about a month out. I'm almost 3 months out and I'm still learning, but it is getting easier. I am saddened by the comment your doctor made. Obviously this doctor believes in negative reinforcement. When I went for my 1 month check-up, I had hoped to have lost 30+lbs, but had only lost 26. I was also below expectation at 2wks out from surgery...had only lost about 12lbs. My doctor is a JEWEL, he gave me a hug, pat on the back and said "you're doing wonderful". He's all about his patients being healthy and doing the right things to make this tool work for us in the "long term". He makes sure we're getting in the right amount of protein and fluids, etc.....and after congratulating us on our weightloss (whatever it might be), his next question is "how are you feeling?". I know this is easier said than done, but try not to focus on the amount of pounds you lose. Instead, focus on your health....no longer having to take meds, being able to walk short distances without getting winded, etc. Keep a journal of WOW moments....these can be anything....i remember looking in the mirror one morning a few weeks after surgery....i could tell a difference in my face....another time is when i discovered that i actually have hips (bones, that is), being able to tie your shoes AFTER buttoning your pants, putting on a shirt and noticing that the "fat pads" aren't as big...one of my favorites is when i finally realized that I was sitting in a chair with my legs crossed at the knees (and I was comfortable). Be patient with yourself and your new pouch. Always remember that you can come here for support. HUGS, Beth 286/238/135 (surgery/current/personal goal)
Most Active