Pre-assessment check list

Luna_Rose
on 2/19/06 2:43 am - Wenatchee, WA
I will be meeting with Dr. Lauter (for the second time) on April 17th in Bellevue. I met with him once before, but it was awkward and he focused more on the payment than the surgery. I decided he was not the one, and went looking elsewhere. Well, here I am back with Dr. Lauter. I was so nervous the first time that I did not have a clue as to what to ask of him or make sure he was aware of. I am getting my medical ducks in order early this time, but I need to know what to do to physically prepare myself for the visit--in order to maybe speed the process along. Liquid diet? I am seeing a nutritionist who has suggested this and has offered to see me as often as needed for support. I am scared I guess. Afraid to actually be approved and scheduled. I have had this cushion for most of my life, and I am afraid that when it is gone, I will change. I am a good person, a committed wife and loving daughter and sister...I need to stay that way! On the other hand, there is so much more to me that my service to others and my happy fat girl facade. I am a sexual woman, I crave attention and affection from those I am close to. I am passionate and adventurous. I am strong and independent somewhere in here, and I want to know how to achieve a balance. My husband **bless his heart** is scared that once lose the weight and feel better about myself I wont need or want him anymore. I know for a fact that he is the one. He accepted and embraced me this way, why would I leave the love I know he has for me? I'm sorry, I could go on and on. I guess I read so much on here about supplements and doctors and the medical aspect of this change, that I am craving some real person, heart-to-heart reality. Thanks Y'all!! Cindy in Wenatchee
lilacs
on 2/19/06 3:50 am - Marysville, WA
I am sorry you are having a hard time. This is a stressful process under ideal cir****tances. I had Dr Lauter as my surgeon (my daughter did too, and niece is waiting on approval). I was VERY pleased with his professional and friendly manner. He is a man of few words - so you may need to take the iniciative and ask as many questions as you can think of. I found that he would take as long as it takes! He does NOT required any pre-diet - liquid or otherwise - which is such a nice thing. As far as other physical things to prepare for, he only has you have a sleep test (if you think you may have sleep apnea), he requires an ultrasound on your gallbladder. And probably and EKG to make sure your heart is okay. All of these are quick and painless and are needed to insure your safety during surgery. He wants you to meet with a nutritionist (which it sounds like you've already done) and speak with a phsycologist (which sounds like a good idea ) and is really very helpful. It is a scary change. Especially if you have been overweight for most of your life. You aren't used to anything else. All I can tell you is I can't believe the changes in myself. My family says that they are all for the better. That I am myself - just happier and more content. I no longer feel sad or depressed about how I look. I am more outgoing, friendlier, more confident in MYSELF. Maybe you haven't hit rock bottom, yet. When you do........nothing will stop you from changing your life. Focus inward and decide to make a leap of faith into a brave new future. It is scary and unknown, but life is going to go on whether you have this surgery or not. The next 20 years will be gone and you will either be thinner and healthier or still waiting to make the decision. If you really think, in your heart, that you will still be unhappy with your weight and want to be healthier in the next 20 years, then seriously consider the surgery. If you think that you need more years like this to make that decision, than take the time. Don't rush into anything, but please don't delay just because you are scared of becoming a different person. YOU WILL! But,chances are, you will love the new you! I'm not scolding, really, I'm not!! Just giving ya a little nudge Good luck Linda -208
Most Active