Dr. Jeffrey A. Hunter/Virginia Mason

ravenscroftceo
on 2/8/06 5:38 am - Puyallup, WA
Has anyone had any recent experience with Dr. Hunter, or with Virginia Mason Hospital? Dr. Hunter's last review here is dated September '05. The latest review of Virginia Mason is December '05 but it's the *only* one that's remotely positive. I'm a little concerned that Dr. Hunter has only been doing bariatric surgery for 3 years although his review says he's done 150 laparascopic procedures. And, I'm *very* concerned about the nursing staff at Virginia Mason. Every comment here says something negative about them. Recent personal experiences would help me a lot in preparing for the surgery. Thanks! -Lisa
CadlllacMama
on 2/8/06 2:28 pm - Everett/Seattle, WA
go with your gut.. if you can, go through the wish center
Lynne A
on 2/8/06 10:45 pm - Covington, WA
Hi Lisa, I had surgery at Virginia Mason in November. I had a revision to RNY (open) from an old VBG. My surgeon was Dr. Thirlby. I had a very positive experience. I was given a private room. I was looked in on often by the staff. I will say that the nursing staff seemed overworked, but that did not keep them from giving me excellent care. Two resident MD's also took care of me besides the surgeon and they were constantly coming to see how I was doing. I was in the hospital for five days total, and I would go back there in a heartbeat. Hope this helps! ~Lynne
morrism
on 2/13/06 3:55 pm - Kent, WA
I am a patient of Dr. Hunter. I had a laproscopic procedure in late July and am down 175 lbs. He has now done over 350 of these things with high success. There is a support group that meets on the 4th Wednesday of the month out in Fewderal Way at 6 pm. We are all patients of his. As for the staff at VM, I thought they were harried but efficient. I have had worse at other hospitals. I had no complications to speak of and his support staff is excellent. He has a good bedside manner and I thought he showed great compassion. My surgery had a hitch or two and he creatively worked around those and did a great job. I was back to work and in the gym one week post-op. Drop me a line if you have any questions. Morris....a Dr. Hunter fan!
ChelleyBelle
on 2/15/06 1:10 pm - Tacoma, WA
I have an appt. with Dr. Hunter on Friday. I have been very worried about finding a competent surgeon. A good friend of mine (also a LapBand recipient) is an OR nurse. She has assisted in bariatric surgeries. She has a "nurse's opinion" on who is good. Dr. Hunter was THE name she recommended highly. I'll let you know how my appointment goes, if you'd like. Michelle
kmccut
on 2/20/06 6:03 am - Tualatin, OR
Lisa, Dr Hunter did my LAP RNY in January of 2005. He was wonderful! I loved him and his staff. He is a gentle kind man. I had my surgery at St Francis. All the technicians and nurses I talked to during the pre and post surgery only had wonderful things to say about Dr Hunter. My PCP told me that he was the best. I went through the Northwest Weight Management group at St Francis and they recommended him for Lap RNY. I've had no complications from my surgery. If I had it to do again I'd go back to Dr Hunter. I have my one year followup appointment with him next week. Kathy
ravenscroftceo
on 2/22/06 8:03 am - Puyallup, WA
Thanks so much, everyone! I'm very reassured now. I have an appt. to see Dr. Hunter's PA on Tues., March 7. I'm SO hoping I will be considered a candidate. Blessings to you all, Lisa
ChelleyBelle
on 2/22/06 3:26 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi Lisa, I just attended the support group at VA Mason South in Federal Way tonight. The WHOLE staff has impressed me no end. I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Hunter on May 23rd! Very excited. I feel confident I have the best in my corner. It was mentioned tonight that his total exceeds 270. His Number 3 patient was in attendance. Good group and lots of encouraging success. Michelle
bpvierra
on 3/9/06 7:06 am - Yakima, WA
Oh my gosh Lisa, Dr. Hunter is or was my surgeon and I just loved him and the staff, especially Steve, and the whole Virginia Mason organization. My surgery was scheduled for tomorrow, but cancelled last week because of the medicare rules. The staff was as sympathetic as my family. You just couldnt be in better hands... I am now looking out of State because I dont want to wait for months and the worst part for me is I will be comparing everyone to Dr. Hunter and his staff...I dont think it could be better.
Most Active