A few Qs for my PCP...

Luna_Rose
on 1/30/06 10:22 am - Wenatchee, WA
I have been mulling this over for hours and decided to ask all of you who are past this stage. I need to get back into see my PCP and although he is supportive of my decision to have WLS, he is kind of passive. He is the kind of Doc who needs to be lead a bit, so my questions are: What do I need to make sure he does for me? Should I have him put me on a supplement? Should I change PCPs and start all over? I need to know what to do. I know I need to take charge, but how? Thanks!! Cindy in Wenatchee
Beth C.
on 2/10/06 12:04 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Cindy, I'm glad you posted this. I actually haven't gotten to the stage yet, but first I have to find a new PCP (mine moved out of state). Here's my 2 cents worth of advice..... 1. Do you like your current PCP and feel comfortable with him? 2. Remember, most PCP's don't have a clue about WLS and need to be educated. 3. I would contact your surgeon and get as much information as possible about the WLS and give it to your PCP. (might even want to give him the link to this website) 4. Find out what labs need to be followed....my thinking is albumin (protein), iron levels, ferritin, H & H, cmp (completet metabolic panel...shows sodium, potassium, calcium, etc...)....then make sure he puts it in your chart that you need these done every year (or as needed for when you have symptoms). 5. As far as supplements, my surgeon has me on multivitamins, b-12 (i take this sublingual), and eating a couple tums per day (easy way to get calcium). Since his post surgical patients tend to do very well and look healthy, I plan to continue doing the supplements as he prescribes and just telling the PCP so that he/she has record (just like giving them a list of the meds you're on). Final note....remember it is YOUR health. YOU must be responsible in making sure that you're adequately taken care of. I have been known to "fire" doctos who have not listened to me in the past. How to take charge? Educate yourself, schedule an appt with the PCP to just talk, educate him, give him a list of the supplements and labs you need to have monitored, and remind him that you're taking an active role in your healthcare and want/need to work as a team. The other thing you can do, give him the name and number of your surgeon (Doctors in the same town tend to know one another and he may feel more comfortable chatting with the surgeon) If he's not willing to be a part of your team, go find another doctor. Ok, I'm done with my rambling. I have a friend who is now being followed by her PCP. Thankfully, one of his staff has had the surgery so he's kinda familiar with it. However, my friend has provided him with information and they work as a team to keep her healthy. Hope this helps (a little). Good luck....I know it can be frustrating, but don't give up..... Beth
Most Active