Looking for support group...

Lotus_Eater
on 1/18/06 12:21 pm - Long Beach, WA
Hi all! I am in the process of preparing for surgery, however, I am having it out of state, so I won't be able to utilize my surgeon's support group for people who have had the surgery. I want to be sure to have a support group lined up, because I want to make sure I succeed at this and I understand support groups can really help. Anyway, I live in Long Beach, Washington, which is right across the river from Astoria, Oregon. I was wondering if anybody knows of any support groups in the area? If necessary, I can go down to Portland, but it would be great to have something close by! Also, does everybody attend a specific weight loss surgery support group, or has anyone had luck using a group just geared toward weight loss, like Weigh****chers? Thanks!
karen C.
on 1/18/06 9:23 pm - Kennewick, WA
HI, I envy you living in Long Beach. I absolutely love the penninsula! I don't know you're age. . . my best support group is the Over Fifty Forum here on OH. There are several "age" specific groups. I find that they are smaller and more specific to my interest and needs. I do attend a local TOPS group one that I had attended for years. Nice people, a good scale, focusing on healthy eating. They have been very supportive and there are now several WLS patients among their members. If you can't find a local group start one! Put an ad up somewhere and meet for coffee/or whatever whenever you need to. I have a local WLS group here but am thinking about meeting with several here in town just to support each other. A smaller group can be so much more personal and specific. Best wishes to you. I'm 11 mos post op lap rny and I have absolutely no regrets. I've lost 167 lbs down from 377 to 210. I'm living and loving life for the first time in many years. I'll be 57 in March. Take care, Karen
Diane DeSeranno
on 1/19/06 12:08 pm - Long Beach, WA
Hey, I live in Long Beach too. I go to a support group in Longview, at Kaiser. It is the third Tues. of the month at 6:30pm to 8:30pm and it is open to Non-Kaiser members free of charge. So email me. [email protected] I would like to meet up with you. I am 7 1/2 weeks post-op.
coffee
on 1/22/06 8:39 am - arlington, WA
You might check the Oregon site too
Lotus_Eater
on 1/22/06 4:32 pm - Long Beach, WA
Hi again! Thanks All! Small world isn't it??? I'm 23, been overweight all my life, and have tried and done everything in the book to lose the weight. I calculated the other day, and had a very depressing moment when I realized that I've spent 15 years of my life hungry- on some type of diet. I've been researching bypass surgery for a long time, and finally decided to move ahead with it. My insurance has already told me that they won't cover it, so I'm doing self-pay, but my mom reminded me that it's really just the cost of a car, and a car depreciates in value the minute you drive it off the lot, whereas I'll actually appreciate in value following the surgery ;) I'm going out of state to have the actual surgery, but as part of my preparations I'm making sure that I have all my post-surgery needs set up, including support groups and counseling. I really want this to be a success! and I have to say that reading people's stories and experiences on this site has helped A LOT! I'll definately check out the Kaiser support group, and y'all will probably be seeing me there following surgery!
Most Active