Alaska WLS Doctors Not Accetping Medicare/Medicaid

fastfreddie
on 1/18/06 8:44 am - Homer, AK
I just found out that the two surgeons in Alaska who perform WLS are not accepting Medicare/Medicaid patients. One of them did, but he is not taking Medicare/Medicaid until at least the end of summer 2006. Does anyone know of a surgeon in Washington state that will take Medicare/Medicaid? My SSDI was just approved and I'll be ready to sign up soon. THANKS!!! Fred
BarbS
on 1/18/06 9:19 am - Everett, WA
Hi Fred I only know of the UW in Seattle. They have a waiting list also. I just got on the list. I was told that it would be 1 to 1 1/2 years, because of the waiting list. I just have medicaid. Go back through the old posts. You can find information about others who have used both Medicare/Medicaid. That is how I found some of my information, plus I posted questions. This is such a great place to find information. Good luck Fred. I'll be watching for your post's. BarbS
fastfreddie
on 1/18/06 10:19 am - Homer, AK
Thanks for your input, Barbara!!! Do you realize that there are a LOT of WLS surgeons in Wash. State? Maybe you should try and hook up with one of them. I'll probably end up at the Wish Center since I've already been to one of their seminars in Arizona, but we shall see. Fred
BarbS
on 1/19/06 4:14 am - Everett, WA
Hi Fred I'm on Medicaid only. The UW, Spokane, and I think in Oregon, are the only WLS surgeons at this time will take Medicaid, that I know of. It is easier if you have Medicare along with Medicaid to get a WLS surgeon. I hope down the road more surgeons will accept Medicaid. Keep your posts coming so we know how you are doing. BarbS
karen C.
on 1/18/06 9:27 pm - Kennewick, WA
Fred, Dr. Shrock in Spokane through Sacred Heart Medical Center has performed surgery on two of my friends. They were very pleased with his surgery and after care. The hospital is excellent also. I believe his first name is Lawrence but not sure. I don't believe the wait with him is nearly as long as UW. I think he's listed on this site. Also, I know the waiting is hard. I waited almost a year trying (to no avail) to get insurance approval. You might get on that Alaska doctor's list anyway. Work as many angles as you can. The time will pass and you will get your surgery! Best wishes, Karen
fastfreddie
on 1/24/06 7:17 am - Homer, AK
Thanks, Karen, for the info on Dr. Schrock. I'll check him out right away. Fred
Most Active