6 month supervised diet...

bjlepera
on 1/13/06 3:34 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
my husband added me to his insurance recently. it listed bypass as covered benefit. I discovered there a clinical bulletin policy. I must do several thing for approval. When I first submitted I recieved a letter of denial due to lack of 6 month supervised diet. Has anyone had this insurance? could you tell me if they have ever approved the surgery? I worry that I will continue to do these thing they ask and never get approval.
yulyburger
on 1/15/06 12:51 am - Kirkland, WA
Hi Billie, I just had surgery on the 21st and I have Aetna. I also had to have a psyhc visit and dietitian visit. At the end I had to get medical records from the last 5 years to prove that you have been obese. Just anything that has your weight on it from your records. I got approval in about 3 days. Hope the info helps. Carol Yuly
PoohPahDoo
on 1/18/06 9:50 am - Tacoma, WA
Billie, Unfortunately a lot of insurances seem to require this. I was lucky and didn't have to go through that process, but my mother is trying to get approved, and she does. She's been seeing a dietician for about 3 months, so she's half way there. Just do everything that your insurance requires and document EVERYTHING that is weight related, or could possibly be weight related. And don't give up. If the insurance sends back a denial, you can always appeal. There is a book by Barbara Thompson called "Weight Loss Surgery: Finding The Thin Person Hiding Inside You!" and she has an example of an appeal letter in the back of the book. Good Luck, Annie
sammisgrammy
on 1/27/06 11:47 am - Arlington, WA
Billie, I went through the same thing you are going through. Don't give up! My BC/BS So. Carolina ultimatley paid 80% for my surgery. I was previously on WW so that covered my 6 mos supervised diet. More ins. co. are paying after appeals. Good Luck! D. Hall Arlington, WA
Most Active