Questions about Tricare Prime & Dr. Webber

LisaAnn
on 1/13/06 1:34 pm - WA
Hi, I have been going round and round with wls for a few years. I got the ball rolling a while ago, but chickened out and stopped things. The problem was that I did not want the RNY and the removal of my intestines. I see that Tricare will not pay for the lapband, but I see there is a procedure VBG that is way less invasive that I would like to have done. Does anyone know if Dr. Webber is still doing the VBG, and if Tricare still pays. I see a lot of testimony relating to both, but none that is recent. Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!! Lisa
eliz
on 1/14/06 9:25 am - Lacey, WA
Dr. Weber performed an LGB on me about 5 years ago. TriCare paid for it then with my costs being around $1k. I've since divorced and no longer have TriCare. I also weigh 30 pounds more than I did before surgery. I'm currently planning self-pay for an RNY. I understand that lap banding and LBGs are successful for many people. However, my experience was sad with an LBG and my revision will include the RNY. My opinion is to go for the gusto -- for the lasting effects surgery. For sure, regardless of your choice of surgery, take care to not regain your weight one M&M at a time! or one potato chip at a time... Surgery is only a tool and not the entire solution.
LisaAnn
on 1/14/06 2:51 pm - WA
Thanks Elizabeth, I am sorry you have gained your weight back. Did you lose in the beginning and then regain, or did you never lose much at all? I am just afraid of having the intestines removed. I cannot do that, so the VBG or Lapband are my only choices. I currently weigh 244, and want to be about 145-160, so hopefully the VBG can get me there. I just wonder if Tricare will still pay for it and if Dr. Webber still does that method, since RNY is way more popular these days. Thanks again, and I wish you the best of luck with your revision to RNY, I am sure it will work for you! Do you have a surgery date yet?? Take care, Lisa
eliz
on 1/15/06 2:55 am - Lacey, WA
With an RNY, your intestines are not removed. They are "re-routed" to avoid any food going into the large part of your stomach (not removed.) I understand that the intestines can be routed back and a person would be left with pouch, which would make it comparable to an LBG. There are lots of ways to reverse obesity surgeries. It seems to me that there was a procedure being done at Madigan where the large part of the stomach was removed. I don't know if they still do that there. It was too extreme for me. I was about 290 and dropped to 260 in the first few months, but I was always hungry. I followed all the guidelines religiously because there's no sense going through the surgery if we don't follow the rules. My LBG failed at the staples at the stoma, so my pouch empties quickly. My sense of fullness comes from the major part of my stomach. In the end, hunger won over 600 calories per day. Now, to the tune of over $20,000, I'm going for an RNY. My surgeon and I will thoroughly discuss the VBG failure and how the upcoming surgery will include "lessons learned" from the past. The money is a tough one, but I'm better off spending it on my health than leaving it to the kids!
LisaAnn
on 1/15/06 7:48 am - WA
Elizabeth, I am so sorry your surgery failed. I wish you the best of success with the RNY! It wil be worth every single penny in the end, I am sure!!! Good Luck! Lisa
Tony1790
on 1/19/06 9:53 pm - Port Orchard, WA
I had my surgery in Nov 05 at Madigan, it was an open RNY, they remove the majority of my stomach, my gall bladder and my appendix. There is no going back afterwards. I'm getting close to 2 months out and am doing tons better, I had a staple line failure with a small leak that left me in the hospital for 10 days and a drain tube in my side for 5 weeks. But so far, so good. Good luck with your decision to have surgery and God bless. Tony
puanoni
on 1/15/06 1:57 am - Bremerton, WA
Good Morning Lisa, I had the VBG done by Dr. Weber May 12th 2005 and have Tricare Prime. They covered the surgery and gave me approval in about 3 days. I have been very very happy and excited about my results from the surgery and with Dr. Weber. He is fun and demanding all at the same time. I started out at 264 and am 5'2" a size 24 pants and 3x shirt I am now down to a size 14 pants and xl shirts my weight is 179. He expects that I should be able to get down to 140 or so. That means this girl needs to get to the gym a little more often! LOL I do see on here that there are many that regain the weight but with all things this is the tool that we needed to help us get there , the rest is up to us on making the right food choices and continuing to move our bodies. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.. there are not many that talk about VBG and so not much information on the day to day living. Jody
LisaAnn
on 1/15/06 7:37 am - WA
Thanks Jody, so there is hope!! May is not that long ago, so I am sure they still approve it. Wooo Hoooo. I am going to go to my PCP (Civillian) to get a referral to Dr. Webber on Monday or Tuesday. You have had wonderful success, that really eases my mind. Would you mind sharing your complications if any, and stuff like that, as well as the steps you had to take to get your approval, ie; appt. with pcp, meet with wls doc, etc.... Thanks so much!! Lisa
LisaAnn
on 1/15/06 7:56 am - WA
Hi again Jody, I just went and read your profile, and wow, we have a very similar story. I too have been thin most of my life, until having kids. I am 37, and have three kids. I gained close to 100 with my first, but lost it all by the time he was 7 mo. then gained 85 with my second and lost all but 50, then gained 65 with my daughter (she is 3) and now need to lose a total of 95 pounds. Still would love to hear about your surgery, the recovery, the process of getting approval, and such, if you get the time, and do not mind. Thanks again! Lisa
Camano-Tina
on 1/16/06 3:41 am - Camano Island, WA
Hi Lisa: My name is Santina and I had Tricare Prime and Dr. Weber. I went into this thinking I wanted the less invasive VBG, and Dr. Weber was willing to do either one. But, as the time go closer, and I read more on the Board, I was persuaded RNY was the best way to go. My surgery was on October 10, 2005. My first appointment with Dr. Weber was on August 8th, so, you can see, the whole procedure didn't take long. In fact, Tricare approved me in three days, which was surprising since I had read so many horror stories from people on the Web. It may have something to do with Dr. Weber. He has a very good record. 2500 surgeries, and o.1% mortality. I am 14 weeks post op and have lost 55#. I was very pleased with my surgery and Dr. Weber. God Bless as you make your decision. Santina 300/245/150
Most Active