Insurance Coverage??

DAGertis
on 1/9/06 6:29 am - Bothell, WA
Hi: I am new to the forum. I have a consulation with Dr. Lauter on Thursday (1/12). I am excited about it, as I know it is a step in the right direction and a huge decision on my part. However, I am nervous about insurance coverage, as I don't have the $ to pay for surgery otherwise. Has anyone been appoved for WLS who has Premera (Heritage Plus 1) as an insurance plan? I called them today, and even though there is an exclusion clause, it may be possible that they will allow the surgery through a Benefit & Care Analysis at the Dr's request. So, I was wondering if anyone has had luck with them in the past? I just find that it is sad that insurance companies don't cover WLS...don't they see that it will save them $$ in the long run, by lowering the need for medical coverage for diabetes, HBP, etc. if they allow people to get the surgery?...Just my 2 cents. - Denise
bjlepera
on 1/13/06 3:44 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
I had that exact insurance and I was denied and sent a huge bill. I now for a fact Aetna (open access) will cover it. I switched to them. Most WLS requires you to follow a policy. See a doctor and be supervised for 6 months. Good Luck!
DAGertis
on 1/14/06 6:44 am - Bothell, WA
Thanks for the info. I have called them and was told that they have made exceptions in the past for "medical necessity", but they didn't state how you would meet that criteria. Oh well, I will wait and see what happens.
Most Active