confused

skt0435
on 1/1/06 2:54 am - spanaway, WA
Ok i am getting confused. I hear and read about a drain tube and hair falling out. Does this happen to everyone? Does dr. Oh use a drain tube? HELP!!
Tanja Y
on 1/1/06 7:03 am - Wahiawa, HI
I had a drain tube and retractions bars, there are pics on my profile. Not sure about what your surgeon does. Hair loss is pretty much a normal reaction to the anestesia and then it's worsened by low protein intake after surgery; or at least that's how it was explained to me. Taking Biotin may help you not lose as much hair, but with any surgery I've had I've lost hair afterwards; so it's not just because you're having WLS. ~Tanja 448/237/148
GertieMae3
on 1/1/06 1:39 pm - Graham, WA
Hi Susan, At our orientation class, the question was asked about the drain tube. Dr. Oh said he doesn't usually use it, only when he absolutly has to. If he has to use it, the tube usually comes out when he takes out the staples one week out. I heard that "yes" your hair can get thinner, but it doesn't fall out in mega clumps. Most people say, that if you consume the directed amount of Protein, and drink your Protien drinks, you don't have too much problems with your hair. I have alerted my hair dresser that she may have to get me some super duper hair reconstructive conditioners. She said no problem... I miss chatting with you. I hope everything is ok. Jan
karen C.
on 1/2/06 2:25 am - Kennewick, WA
Susan, Don't know anything about drain tubes. I had LAP RNY with Dr. Lauter and didn't have one. Re hair loss. Yep, it happens. From about 3-5 mos mine thinned, not in clumps, but noticable to me. At 10 mos out it is growing back well. Most people didn't even notice it, just me. I got my hair cut in a shorter style and that helped. It's well worth the temporary inconvenience! Best wishes, Karen
thisonesforme
on 1/5/06 9:49 pm - Graham, WA
I did not have a drain tube. As for hair falling out I am having that happen now, but I've also had a problem with keeping protein and vitamins down, I notice that if I am able to keep the protein down It is better. Just glad I had really thick hair to begin with. Any questions feel free to ask. Teri
Most Active