Mood Swings before surgery?

GertieMae3
on 12/18/05 1:34 pm - Graham, WA
I would like to know if any of you experienced mood swings prior to your surgery. I cry on a dime. I am impatient sometimes. I sometimes question if I am doing the right thing. I complain to my daughter, more like whining. I could go on and on. I am curious if I am being stupid. Thanks for listening Janice B
kem
on 12/18/05 11:00 pm - Surrey, Canada
Had them before and had them after for a bit. This is a major life adjustment that you are about to take on and subconsciously I think things just leak out. For me, they come out my eyes. I cried a lot before and for silly things sometimes. I feel that it is perfectly normal and making lists of things needing to do kept me sane. I also wrote letters to my family and friends. Morbid, maybe, but I found it gave me peace. Kathy
GertieMae3
on 12/19/05 1:57 pm - Graham, WA
Hi Kathy, Whew, thanks, I thought I was loosing my mind. I am sorry you experienced the same thing that I am, but I am relieved to know that it is kind of normal. Good ideas in keeping me busy. I have yet to get my date, and as soon as I do, I think I will calm down quite a bit. I don't think writing to your family members was morbid, in fact, I think I will do the same. Thank you for responding to my message. Take care and God Bless you. Janice B
skt0435
on 12/19/05 5:10 am - spanaway, WA
Janice I here you!! But when I notice that I am getting that way - i try to think of what life will be like after surgery, when I can wear shorts again and know that I look good, or when I can tie my shoes, or when i will be able to go into victoria secret and actually BUY something there. That ususally puts me in a better mood. Susan
GertieMae3
on 12/19/05 2:05 pm - Graham, WA
Hi Susan, Thank you for responding to my cry for help!! You are a good neighbor and I really appreciate it. I think you are so right. I have to start thinking of the positives, instead of the negatives. I think it would help if my daughter really felt like this is a good thing. She works in the intensive care in the cardiac unit, and she sometimes gets WLS patients that need special care. So she just sees some of the complications, and doesn't see the final results. I think she will come around eventually. Yep that would be so cool to be able to go into Victoria Secrets and find a nice nighty. Thanks again for your support. God Bless, and I will talk to you soon. Janice B
Waiting Hoping
on 12/22/05 1:22 am - seattle, WA
My surgery is a long way off. . . . March! But I think having a fixed date has triggered more emotions in me. I am thinking about the surgery and post surgery quite a lot. And I am more irritable and emotional. Course, it's also the holiday hellhole week but I think my increased emotionality derives from the pending surgery. My sympathy to you, Janice B. Your daughter's reservations about the surgery are probably rooted in her love for you. Her professional health care background has her worrying in more specific ways than a non-professional, I bet. Maybe it would help if you tried to hear her love when she expresses reservations?
GertieMae3
on 12/22/05 2:07 pm - Graham, WA
Hello Waiting and Hoping! Thank you for you insight about the love of my daughter. I talked a little more to her about her feelings, and she said "Mom I probably know to much about the medical end of the surgery", she is a little more supportive now, but still nervous, which is to be expected. I agree about the busy week of Christmas, it is helping me keep my mind off of the surgery a little better. I responded to your latest post, I totally understand your feelings, it has to get more intense pre surgery.. Susan Thomson suggested to me to focus on the positive things, like shopping at Victoria Secrets, being able to fit in a restaurant booth easier etc. That advise helped me alot. Thank you so much for your response I really appreciate it. Janice B
Diane DeSeranno
on 12/24/05 7:20 am - Long Beach, WA
I have them now that I have had surgery. I can cry at the drop of a hat.
GertieMae3
on 12/24/05 3:17 pm - Graham, WA
Hi Diane, Thank you for you reply. It's so good to know we are not alone in our journey's.. I am sorry you have emotional times, but it appears that is part of our journey. I too cry a lot, but it does feel better after I am finished crying. Thanks again and take care! Janice B
Most Active