I have my first consult with my surgeon.. I am so nervous

GertieMae3
on 11/29/05 12:26 pm - Graham, WA
Hello, My name is Jan. I have been considering WLS for over 4 years. I have finally decided to meet with a surgeon. I am so nervous. I can't really talk about what I am feeling with my grown children as they are very nervous too. I don't want to make this a big deal to my friends, and sound like I am whinning. So consequently, I am burstiing inside. I can't sleep, I have broke out with a cold sore, (which I never get), I am eating really bad, and I find myself just shaking inside. I don't want to relate too much to my husband, as I want him to know that I am very serious about having this surgery, and I am not backing out. Is this a normal feeling, or am I just a weeeny? Thanks for your time... Jan
mousekitty
on 11/29/05 10:21 pm - Bothell, WA
Hi Jan, I also went through the "no sleeping, anxiety" phase. All I did when I went to bed at night is to lay there and wonder if I was doing the right thing. I was very scared. They definitely tell you the "complication side" of the surgery. I weighed the pro's and con's and after 3 months I decided it was best for me. I talked to my family at length about it and had my fiance and mother go with me to the pre-op appointments with me so they heard everything I did. They encouraged me that if this is what I wanted then I should schedule surgery. I did, I had my surgery on Sept. 28th, 2005. For some reason I took my measurements and weighed on Sept. 6th and since then I have lost 63 lbs. It was definitely the right decision for me. I have had no complications and feel really wonderful. The highlight so far for me is going shopping to find new slacks to wear on Thanksgiving, all of my other clothes were to big. I was in a size 24 and now am in a size 16, I also bought a new sweater, I was wearing 3X and bought a misses XL. IT WAS AN AWESOME MOMENT!!! I suppose summing it up, I would definitely let your family in on everything and talk to them, it really helps. Good luck and I know you'll be just fine, just be sure and do everything the Dr. tells you to do. Sandy Raymond PS: I had my surgery at the Wish Center in Renton, Dr. Alperovich is absolutely thorough and fantastic. 322/259/???
skt0435
on 11/29/05 11:35 pm - spanaway, WA
Jan I too am in your boat! By the way - hello neighbor and we also have the same doctor. I have had some of the same feelings that you do. I too have been researching this for some time and finally made the decision to have it done. I have a date for March 9. Dr. Oh is great - short and to the point. I have a friend who under went the surgery 2 years ago - she went in at 335 and is now around 150. She recently had her tummy tuck and she looks great! I have another co worker who had it done 3 years ago and she also looks great - she lost over 200 lbs! I talked myself out of the first time by telling myself that I was being selfish - now with the support of a great boyfriend - it is my turn to do something for me, and i am looking at it differently now. I am looking at it as a chance for me to live longer, spend play time with my grandson and also to be healthy. So if you need someone to talk to - drop me a note and I will give you my phone number. Susan
ChinahSea
on 12/1/05 4:03 am - Lakewood, WA
Hey girl-!! I was going to have Dr Fox do my surgery, and backed out TWICE. I changed to Dr Neal and now I can't wait!! I have my first official meeting with him in January (because I have to complete the Dr supervised weight loss stuff for my Insurance). I know the feelings you are experiencing with anxiety, but I assure you that it's normal. Just take some time and look over a bunch of the forums here and read people's profiles and you will come up with some great questions to ask Dr Oh! Most Dr's have informational seminars too! I am going to my second one for Dr Neal, because I came up with a bunch more questions, and it's easier for me to ask him in person that way. Anyway - anxiety over something like this is normal. Try to relax and ask a ton of questions - the more you learn, the better you'll feel!!
GertieMae3
on 12/1/05 6:03 am - Graham, WA
Hi Tracy, Thank you very much for replying to my post. I am glad you decided to change doctors, as I have heard conflicting comments about Dr. Fox. I am feeling a little better, as I have received other replies. The bottom line is I have to figure this out for myself. But..... hearing and reading from other WLS friends has helped me tremendiously. For so many years there have been such negative talk about this surgury, I think that is alot of my doubt. I'm in the 21st. century now and going to start living a "normal" life. Thank you so very much for your help. I have my first consult tomorrow, which I am preparing questions for Dr. Oh. I have studied non-stop for the past 3 months, along with previous investigating. Take care my friend and please let me know when your surgery date will be and your well being. You are in my prayers. Hugs Jan
ChinahSea
on 12/1/05 11:34 pm - Lakewood, WA
I hear Dr. Oh is wonderful. I can't wait to hear how your consult with him went (( hugs! ))
GertieMae3
on 12/3/05 11:13 am - Graham, WA
Hi Tracy, I had my consult yesterday with Dr. Oh. What a nice man and so knowledgeable!! He answered all of my questions along with his wonderful staff. I was surprised to learn that this was my decision as to what surgery I have. After the Dr. appointment, his staff scheduled me for my upper endiscope and colenoscope (sp), and also the appointment to follow up with these tests. Then his orientation was scheduled, and Dr. Oh presented all the different types of Bypass operations that he performs and how each one works. Whew alot to "digest". I have decided on the RNY Distal. It sounds like my insurance company will cover 100%. I forgot to mention all the paperwork was filled out and turned in. I didn't have any idea that I would complete so much in one day to help me towards the surgery date. Thank you for caring. Please keep in touch, and I will post when my insurance approves and I get my surgery date. Hugs Jan
Most Active