About time I introduced myself

sweetredgl
on 11/15/05 12:04 pm - Kent, WA
I have been lurking on this message board for a while now. Never had a chance to say hello. Now, I do, so here goes. My name is Carrie and I am 24 yrs old. I had Open Resectional Gastric Bypass on 10/19. My surgeon was Dr. Clifford Porter. So I am about 1 month post op. My pre-op weight was 304lbs and today I weighed in at 284lbs. I am 5'6", and have no comorbidities. I live in Washington state, trying to gain independence from my parents (living with dad right now). Decided to have wls upon entering a grocery store and getting pointed at after being passed over for a job because the other applicatant was a size 2 with only a high school education. I graduated from college in 2004 with a bachelor of arts in sociology and a bachelor of science in psychology and a minor in women's studies. It has come to my attention that I have been passed over repeatedly for jobs because of my weight. I have been unable to get a decent job that matches my education because of this as well. I am currently unemployed again because the job that I was working at was unwilling to deal with the time off I needed for recovery. I live in Puyallup, Washington and have grown up in Sumner/Auburn area (Central Puget Sound). Have never had a romantic relationship with someone because of my weight. Its always been the great friend type and thats it. I was rather active in high school (captain of the colorguard, baseball manager), but could never manage to lose weight. I have always had a weight problem even at my most active I was still 50lbs overweight. I guess that sums me up a little. If I forgot anything, feel free to ask. I am working to get a couple pics of me up. Anyway, I look forward to becoming a part of this messageboard.
auntlorlee
on 11/16/05 12:58 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi Carrie! Welcome to the losing side! I am so glad you posted here for support. We are like one big happy family here and welcome you with open arms! I totally know your struggle with employment. Been there done that. I took countless classes to better myself only to be shot down for jobs because of "not the right experience" or "blah, blah blah"... I know it was because of my weight. They have no idea how awesome of an employee they passed up. It is soooo wrong to discriminate against someone who is overweight but unfortunately, it happens daily. Everywhere we go. I had a stupid guy, probably high school age, in a car in front of me making mooing motions, yelling at me how fat I was, sticking his arms out and puffing up his cheeks all because his stupid friend pulled out in front of me and I honked at him. I tell you what, if I could have ran that little a**hole over I would have! I felt like a big pile of poo and this was only about a month ago. He has no idea what kind of person I really am and how special I am. People who discriminate don't have a clue. They don't know that we would give them the shirt off our back if they needed it. They don't know how totally awesome we really are. I feel sorry for them. They are totally ignorant and obviously didn't learn any manners from their parents! Whoo... sorry this is long-winded. What you said just struck a chord with me and I had to respond. Good luck with your journey and know that we are all here for you. With your degrees and education you will go places girl! You just wait. Those losers that wouldn't hire you have no idea what they missed out on!!! Lori
Mari J
on 11/16/05 2:03 pm - Kent, WA
Hi Carrie, welcome! I'm so glad you introduced yourself. We have all experience the problems you have. Lori wrote you such a great letter that I have nothing else to add. Mari
auntlorlee
on 11/17/05 3:00 am - Bellingham, WA
MARI!!! I love the new message board pic! You look awesome girl! And thanks for your kind words about my post. Lori
Most Active