Oh the Frustration...

Sarah Christine
on 11/14/05 11:05 pm - Yelm, WA
Hello everyone! I have been actively trying to qualify for surgery based on the requirements set down by Group Health - and well - I actually met the requirements!! However... In the time it took to get all that done - my school district opted to DROP the additional coverage for WLS... Can you believe that?? So, after I appealed they denied the surgery due to lack of coverage. I first tried for the surgery in July and was covered 100% - but after the open enrollement and all the switching around they do - sometime between July and now I'm not covered. Any ideas? Do I have anything enough to argue the point with them or it just is what it is? I've got enough money in our house that a refinance should do the trick - but I'm not really clear on how much this surgery will cost- and WHO do I go to in order to get it done? I'm a little lost here about finding my own surgeon and financing my own surgery... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
auntlorlee
on 11/15/05 12:55 am - Bellingham, WA
Sarah, I am sorry to hear about your insurance. Our district opted to keep the rider for this year, but not next year. I don't have any suggestions for you about who to go to for surgery. I just wanted to let you know that you have my support. Hopefully someone on here can give you some good advice. Good Luck Sweetie! Lori 281/232/140
karen C.
on 11/15/05 5:50 am - Kennewick, WA
Sarah, Wish I had an answer for you. I did the insurance battle with Uniform Medical for almost a year and lost. We are retired teachers in WA. I ended up borrowing the money from my 94 yr old mom. You are over 20 years younger than I am. All I can say is go for it if you feel this is what you need. I wish I could have done it 20 years ago. It is major surgery, and scary. However, for me it has been life changing in so many positive ways. Do not go into it lightly, research thoroughly. My dr was David Lauter of Kirkland. I admire him and his talent immensely. He was top rate and I highly recommend him and his staff. Best wishes to you. Karen
Mari J
on 11/16/05 1:51 pm - Kent, WA
My school district also cancelled bariatric surgery. It is so disappointing and unfair. I was told that it would cost $1.50 per employee to continue the coverage so they cancelled it. However, our GHC rates went up 19% this fall. What the heck! Why didn't they just raise it 20%?? like that would make any difference. I'm so grateful that I got in under the wire. I was very happy with my care. GHC does do the surgery for self pay clients, I believe. Check out the cost with GHC and other clinics to compare prices. Good luck, Mari
Most Active