OT - Question about Kent, Washington.

kiera
on 11/6/05 5:45 am - Brussels, Belgium
Hi all, this is a totally off the wall question, so please forgive me. I have been researching retirement apartments for my grandma who has been recently widowed and my Mom who is partially diabled and helps take care of my grandma. I came across a set of low rent complexes in Kent, Washington and I would like to get more "first hand" information about the area and what it's like. I first posted in the LapBand forum and somebody mentioned that I should post here since you are more likely to know the area, being in Washington yourselves. Here are the apartments I was looking at: http://www.housing4seniors.com/kent2.php http://www.housing4seniors.com/kent1.php Everything I have read so far makes me think this would be a great place for my Mom and my Grandma to move. But I have never been there and live in Belgium so a quick jaunt is out of the question. So I turn to you all to all of you lovely folks to see if anybody knows, lives in or has visited Kent (and/or any of these complexes, if I could be so lucky!). I would like to know if the free downtown shuttle is as good as it sounds, if the place lives up to the internet hype that I have read, and lastly, would you want your Mom & Grandma living there? If you don't feel like responding publicly you can email me via the board. I would really appreciate any info you guys could give me! Thanks in advance. Kiera
Mari J
on 11/6/05 12:31 pm - Kent, WA
Hi Kiera! I live in Kent and these apartments are fairly new, well maintained and I definitely would sign up for them. I haven't been inside them but I have thought it would be a place for me when I get older. They are in the downtown area where you can walk to many stores, banks, etc. Kent just opened a new center 2 blocks away from the Kent1 site which has 11 restaurants, a large movie complex, college classes and more. There is a train and bus center about 3 blocks away from the Kent1 site, too. It's all pretty close. Yes, the last I heard there still is a shuttle that is free. It stops at places downtown and up on the East Hill where I live. I have seen it in action! Good luck and let me know if I can help you with more information. Mari Jensen
kiera
on 11/6/05 2:11 pm - Brussels, Belgium
Mari, Thank you for posting! Do the apartments have balconies? It isn't mentioned anywhere and from the pictures it is really hard to tell. What sort of neighborhood are the complexes in? Would an elderly middle class woman feel comfortable there do you think? Also, what kind of weather do you have. I know it rains a lot but is it horrible or what? A couple of people have mentioned to me that the weather is really hard on older people with arthritis, is that true in your opinion? Is it difficult to live with the weather there? Kiera
Lynne A
on 11/6/05 10:50 pm - Covington, WA
Hi Kiera! I live in Covington, WA which is right next to Kent. Last May my mother moved into Titus Court apartments in Kent, which is one of the SHAG (Senior Housing Assistance Group) apartments you are asking about. It is the GREATEST place for her! It is a security building, and when I visit my mom I call her from the door and she buzzes me in. It is in downtown Kent, which is a cute town with lots of shops. The neighborhood is quiet, and there is a church right across the street. There is a Mexican restaurant that is good about a half block away, and for someone able to walk a little there are lots of shops within about three blocks. Yes, the free shuttle is good, it drops you off right at the market/store, whatever, picks you up and drops you right at the apartment building. Seniors needing transportation other than where the shuttle goes can qualify for the "Access" van system, which will take you whereever you want to go for about 75¢ (doctor appts, etc.) The apartments are on the small side, about 500 sf, but fine for my mom. Her building has outings and activities all the time. This coming Saturday a local church is putting on a Thanksgiving Feast for the whole building in the recroom. They recently had free flu shots there for all the residents. People are always gathered in the recroom playing cards or just talking! There are no balconies in any of these buildings, but my mom's building has a wonderful courtyard that has tables set up where people gather to socialize, and a fountain in the middle. Those who live on the first floor do have sliding doors to the outside. The one thing that I don't like is mom has to carry her garbage out to a dumpster outside, and she is disabled so has a hard time with that. I usually just take it for her when I am there. My mom feels perfectly safe and comfortable in her place. I would want to live there if I were in her situation! Hope this helps! ~Lynne
Mari J
on 11/9/05 1:25 pm - Kent, WA
Hi Kiera, you are welcome. I just read your post and saw that Lynne gave you a great answer to your questions about the housing. We do have a lot of overcast days in the Nov-Feb time and off and on through June. It does rain, but not as much as people say. It's just that you don't see the sun much! It was depressing for my first couple of years. I love it here because the weather is pretty moderate. I'm originally from Utah and we had temps from -15 to +105. Good luck, Mari
Most Active