Elevated Liver function question

Cele W.
on 10/25/05 10:51 am - Eastsound, WA
Hi, I have been getting periodic blood tests to check the various levels to make sure that I am getting in the proper nutrition. The past 3 tests that I've had have come back with elevated liver functions. The ALT is 1.5 times what it should be, the AST is 3 times and the ALK Ptase is about 5 times what it should be. My PCP has sent me to a general surgeon and I have had a CT scan, a chest xray, an MRI and an ultrasound. They did find a spot on my left lung which was biopsied as benign (and resulted in a collapsed lung , a chest tube to re-inflate and an overnight stay in the hospital). All is well now with that. I was just wondering if anyone else who has undergone WLS has had elevated liver functions and if it was ever found out what was causing it. (I do have a message in to Dr. Alperovich, my WLS surgeon, to see if he has any insights.) All-in-all, I feel fine, have had no outward complications, and am extremely satisfied with the results of the WLS. I weigh 107.5 lbs less than I did a year ago September and have lost 77.5 lbs since the day of surgery on April 5, 2005. I am now wearing a size 16P (soon to be a 14P) pants and a size large (or 16-18) shirt. I've also recently had my wedding ring reduced from a size 7 to a 5.5. Please let me know if you have had abnormal blood work done - I would greatly appreciate it. Hugs to all, Cele
JustHat
on 10/26/05 2:41 pm - NM
After one of my procedures, I was in the ER because I couldn't breath and was in pain. A liver function test they did came back elevated. If I hadn't been feeling better and if it weren't the middle of the night they said they would have kept me for more tests. Instead I promosed to see my PCP the next day. I did and he blew it off. He said ER docs tended to over react. Because I insisted, he agreed to send me for an US. The results I got was that everything was fine. But, then again, they said my gall bladder looked fine too. Amazing they could see it since I had it removed months earlier when I had WLS. Anyway, since then, my LFT have come back fine. I never found out why that one test came back elevated. Good luck and let us know if you find out anything, Hat
Cele W.
on 10/27/05 5:40 am - Eastsound, WA
Hi Hat, Thanks for letting me know about your experience with the same type of problem. There is always some relief in knowing that someone else has had the same type of problem. At this point, I'm not sure that I am going to pursue it any further, but if I do, I will certainly post something to let everyone know. Thanks again Hat, Cele
Jer
on 11/1/05 2:26 pm - Milwaukie, OR
when I asked my Dr. about the elevated liver levels he told me that as you lose weight the fats and junk accumulate in the liver, resulting in elevated levels. You don't notice a loss and may be at a plateau. Then your liver dumps everything out for elimination and you start losing weight again. If you were somehow able to test after a liver dump you would probably see your tests come back normal. But because we are losing weight faster than the ordinary person, our livers fill up a lot faster than it can eliminate naturally until it becomes engorged at which point it yacks it all out and you lose weight - lol.
Most Active