Preop liquid diet?

Luna_Rose
on 10/14/05 11:49 am - Wenatchee, WA
Dr. Macfarlane who, by the way, is great and wonderful and all things life-affirming to me right now, has asked me to lose 30 pounds before he sets a date for my surgery. He suggested calorie counting (ugh...so NOT for me) or a liquid diet. His assistant, Betty, told me that it does NOT have to be the same kind of diet as I would be on immediately postop, but I should keep in mind I need good vitamins and protein. What I need are any suggestions or tips y'all may have. I am going to start on Slim-Fast tomorrow, and concentrate on replacing 2 of my meals and a snack with their products, and things like veggies and steamed chicken and fish for dinners, then exercising EVERY afternoon/evening. All help is greatly appreciated!! Cindy in Wenatchee
debidoo
on 10/14/05 12:53 pm - lakewood, WA
Cindy, I guess I can only say hang in there. You could always try clear liquids and protien shakes with all your vits..... i know i lost alot pre-op just kinda fell off me... I hope it doesn't take to long to loose the 30lbs for you i will keep you in my prayers... debbie
Janis
on 10/15/05 4:44 am - Cashmere, WA
Cindy, I did a virtually fat free diet pre-op and lost 21 pounds. I limited my fat intake to no more than 5 grams a day and I started walking, working my way up to 1.5 miles a day, briskly. It took 6 weeks but could have taken less if I had walked even more and counted calories and carbs and, I ate whenever I was hungry. I did not count anything except fat and there are a lot of gooooood fat free products out there, you just have to read the labels when choosing something. I also loaded protein using protein supplements. Since that will help in healing post surgery, it pays to protein load presurgery. You can do it! Janis
Most Active