NG tube?? OMG!!

Luna_Rose
on 10/2/05 7:52 am - Wenatchee, WA
I was just reading the packet my surgeon sent me (Mark Macfarlane, Spokane Surgical Group) and came across the nasogastric tube information. I have to say this scares the s**t out of me. I have a terrible gag reflex as it is, I don't know how well I am going to be able to handle being awake with the NG tube. On average, how long did y'all have the NG tube in place? How difficult was it for you? I thought I was worried about the catheter...but that pales in comparison with how I am now freaking out about the NG tube. Feel free to laugh at me, as I am sure I will laugh at myself after the surgery. I have just NEVER had any procedure done that wasn't a day or office procedure. I am also wondering how I am going to sleep without Jr. Cindy in Wenatchee
awidick
on 10/2/05 10:41 am - Spanaway, WA
Hello Cindy, The NG tube really isn't that bad. You hardly know it's in. I just didn't like it because it looked silly. But I didn't like the feel of it coming out. YUK But really, it's not bad. Another problem I had was the morphine made me not be able to pee, so they ended up putting in a catheter. I didn't like that. Then to have a nurse that couldn't get it in was bad. She had to get a male nurse. Arlene
Jennifer B.
on 10/3/05 11:08 am - Walla Walla, WA
It isn't that bad because you are asleep when they put it down. You may gag when they take it out, but having it in place does not make you gag it just feels odd and makes your throat sore. Goodluck!
GDKTY B.
on 10/6/05 1:45 pm - Roy, WA
Cindy, Its true...YUK. It is not that bad. you will be fine, It is a small price we all paid. It goes in while you are asleep. My nose had a sore on it from them putting it in, but, I would do it all over again. I HAD bad gag reflex so I didnt talk hardly at all. My husband thought I was mad...No I just didnt want to talk. Just dont think about it. You will have other things to think about. as for Jr. take the pillow or blanket with you. best of luck Shelley
Most Active