questions about protien drinks?

smagickgirl17
on 9/7/05 2:11 pm - mccleary, WA
Hi, I have surgery in 39 days and i have been looking at all the protein drinks out there and someone told me about nectar? anyone drank this and is it as good as everyone is saying? i dont want to spend a big amount of money on something that i will not like...steph
kem
on 9/8/05 2:22 am - Surrey, Canada
Hello, I am pre-op too but I took some advice from the board and went to bariatriceating.com. I ordered some of the single samples of drinks to test drive them before the big day. I also ordered some of the "tasteless whey" and it sounds like a very good thing. It can be added to almost anything (yogurt, sf pudding, broth, etc) to boost the protein count. You might want to wait until after the surgery to totally stock the cupboards, I have also read (and got this from my husband too) that some people's tastes change after and things you liked before, you might not stomach after. good luck, Kathy
Jer
on 9/8/05 10:59 am - Milwaukie, OR
Your taste does change after surgery. I believe it is temporary as some taste is coming back after 6 weeks. Still don't like the taste of OJ that I loved before or oranges. Other things taste fine like peaches or cataloupe. In fact, anything sweetened I used to like still tastes off like some cereals. That's a good thing though as they have too much sugar in them, and maybe that's what is causing the problem. Sugar! It's a no no. Jerry
KuuipoCloud
on 9/9/05 4:41 am - Oak Harbor, WA
I would suggest what the other poster did, go to bariatriceating.com and order samples. Order two of each one that sounds good to you and try it once with jus****er, juice, or crystal lite or something, and then again blended in a blender with frozen fruit - it changes the tastes dramatically. And, don't try any of them until after your surgery. I USED to really like Nectar Fuzzy Navel - that was pretty much the only one I would drink, but after about 6-7 weeks, I couldn't stand it - it left a nasty metallic taste in my mouth. Right after surgery I couldn't handle any of the chocolate flavored ones, or any of the milk based ones - they were disgusting to me. Now, I drink pretty much only Isopure Dutch Chocolate! Your tastes do change - I didn't think that they would that much, but they do. And it may not be immediately. Like I said, it wasn't until probably - I think it was even further out than 6-7 weeks, probably like 3 months out - that mine really changed. HTH~ Michelle 340/256/175
Kilaani
on 9/10/05 5:26 pm - Las Vegas, NV
You can also get some samples from www.vitalady.com and she's local in Washington. If you are near Puyallup, you can even go and meet up with her at her office and taste some. My two favorites are Champion Whey Stack Chocolate and IDS Cinnamon Vanilla, but, all tastes are different and mine also changed after surgery. Jill revision from band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain www.bodybybaltasar.com 440/435/329/160 hw/sw/cw/gw -111lbs
smagickgirl17
on 9/11/05 5:02 pm - mccleary, WA
HI jill, Thanks alot of people have been telling me that my taste will change and not to buy to much stuff because i might not like it after surgery. I have 36 days left till I fly for the first time to get a new life for myself!! I was reading your journal I have been writing one at home, hope all goes as well for me as it has for you still having jitters and worried about flying. Seems like all my aches and pains are starting right before I am a few weeks from going? What is up with that? Nerves I guess.. thanks for the advice steph...
sassy
on 9/11/05 11:21 pm - Kaiserslautern Military Community, Germany, XX
i LOVE nectar!! they have many different fruity flavors to choose from. vitalady is awesome! they will let you sample until you find one you like, so i would definately recommend to go see her! i also like unjury.com, they have unflavored protien you can put literally in anything and you wont know its there. good luck!!!
miranda1
on 9/15/05 7:42 pm - salem, or
I love Nectar have 3 canisters now and am happy with them especially the tea ,lemonaide and fuzzy navel so give it a try. believe me its better than anything Choc, vanilla, strawberry Im Im 19 months out and the smell of those make me gag. good luck
cheryl D.
on 9/16/05 2:17 am - bellingham, WA
I do not like Nector. Now that I'm further out 3 years. I have used up all the things I bought that I could not stand so do not throw away anything you buy just cause you hate it cause in a month or 2 down the road your tastes may change. I like Bio-Plex I called the number on the lable after finding that I liked one of their flavors by takeing a taste at a health food store they sent me 2 of each of thier flavors for nothing that has been about 2 years ago,but it is worth a try.Not sure if they still will.
Most Active