Looking for a DOC to perform DS

taterbug66
on 9/3/05 6:29 pm - Poulsbo, WA
Hi, I 'm looking for a Dr. in WA that is experienced in performing DS. I was also wondering if anyone has had WLS from Adrian J. Heap M.D... Thanks in advance Nancy
Krissipooh
on 9/4/05 4:46 am - Port Orchard , WA
Hi Nancy, There have been a lot of pros and cons written about Dr. Heap of his "mini DS". It raised eyebrows among the other surgeons at the ASBS convention this year while listening to him speak. You can look at it two ways - either he's a genius and is on to something or this is something very scary. Personally I prefer the doc who has done hundreds with low mortality rate. There is basically nobody in Washington. Your closest are Portland (Deveney) and Idaho (Oakley). I don't know if you have insurance paying but the two best options (IMHO) are the Drs. Rabkin of Pacific Laparoscopy in SF who speciialize in the lap procedure or Dr. Keshishian in Delano, CA who does more open. They are all VERY experienced with LOW mortality rate. Dr. K is cheaper if you are a self-pay. I researched heavily (Bremerton gal who lives overseas). My daughter went to Spain for hers as a self-pay. Good luck and feel free to write me if you want to know more. Kris
Jer
on 9/4/05 3:49 pm - Milwaukie, OR
I choose Dr. Stephen Tersigni of coos Bay, OR. I'm from the Portland area, but choose Dr. Tersigni because he has done over 700 WLS and has not had any fatalities due to the surgery. Bay Area Hospital was just great and service from the hospital staff was outstanding. And there is an airport there for fly ins. Red Lion Inn gives discounts for out of town surgery patients. They also have RV hook-ups at the hospital for those who prefer to stay in their RV. I had the laparascopic RNY and was out in 2 days and healed up in 2 weeks with just 5 tiny scars. Went in with complete peace of mind and was not disappointed. Jerry
Krissipooh
on 9/4/05 4:00 pm - Port Orchard , WA
Hi Jerry, I think she was asking who in Washington performs the DS type of WLS. Sounds like you found a great RNY surgeon with a good track record which is VERY important. Kris
taterbug66
on 9/4/05 4:29 pm - Poulsbo, WA
Hi Kris, Thank you for the heads up on Dr. Heap! and, for the the information on the experienced surgeons, i will look into them..... I was hoping to find one in Seattle/Tacoma area......! Looks like thats not going to happen. Thank you! Nancy
Debra Adams
on 9/7/05 5:56 am - Yakima, WA
I'm a Dr. Heap patient. I researched a lot and find his method just makes sense to me. He has been doing surgery for many years and has a sensibility that I clicked with. I had surgery 8 weeks ago and have had no problems. We have a support group in Yakima and have lots of successful losers. I think though, if you feel the DS is the best thing for you, I would go for it. I think what feels right is most often the thing to do. and speaking of mortality rates, you really have to look at what surgeon takes on those of us with high BMI's and lots of complications. I would expect their mortality rates to be higher. Just my opinon. Good luck and may your path be clear and easy. Debra
Kilaani
on 9/10/05 5:34 pm - Las Vegas, NV
Dr. Oh also does the DS, but only if the patient really pushes for it. I don't think he's done all that many, though, and I think you're wise to push for an experienced DS surgeon - it's the trickiest of WLSs. I definitely would steer clear of Dr. Heap. I would love to have you join the Seattle duodenal switch group - it's linked from my profile. We will be meeting on the 24th of September at Duke's Greenlake if you can come! I went to Dr. Baltasar in Spain, he is really awesome! He has done close to 1000 surgeries by now, I'm sure. I agree with Kris about Dr. Rabkins, I think he's got one of the best reputations on the west coast for the DS. I also hear good things about Dr. Crookes in L.A. I think it is. Feel free to e-me! I think I may be going to the Bellingham support group on Monday night, too. There are a good amount of DS post ops up there. Jill revision from band to DS 3/10/05 Dr. Baltasar, Spain (www.bodybybaltasar.com) 440/435/329/160 hw/sw/cw/gw -111lbs
June S.
on 9/10/05 4:00 am - Federal Way, WA
Hello, Tacoma has a well kept secret. They have a DS doctor--Dr. Srikanth of Surgical Weight Loss Clinic (SWLC.) Surgery are done at St. Francis in Federal Way, WA. I just checked out his review and it says he has done 30 DS surgeries. I don't think (from what I understand) that is a correct number. I know he use to do DS in San Fransico for many years. Than he moved up here and joined with Dr Oh and found out RNY was the only surgery that was done here. About a year and a half ago someone asked him to do a DS. I know the first two patients, both are doing GREAT. I would suggest checking him out. I have heard nothing but good things about him
Most Active