Time off of work with Open RNY??

Jessica B.
on 8/18/05 4:17 am - Bothell, WA
Hi All, I am scheduled to have Open Gastric Bypass on September 14th. I work at a computer for most of the day, up and around a little bit... I am wondering if anyone else was in the same situation, and if they could tell me how much time they took off of work? Thanks!!! Jess
Jer
on 8/18/05 5:26 am - Milwaukie, OR
can't speak for the open, but with my laporascopic rny, I was given a time frame of 6 to 8 weeks. Couldn't lift anything heavier than 20 lbs. However, I don't think I would need the whole 8 weeks if I was in an office job. As a postal employee, i have to lift a lot of stuff heavier. so i may need it. It's only been 23 days and my incisions are already healed. With open, i'm betting it will be a minimum of at least 6 weeks. Jerry
Jessica B.
on 8/18/05 5:42 am - Bothell, WA
Thanks Jerry~ I am glad you healed quickly... I was hoping to only take about 2 weeks off of work since I am sitting at a computer most of the day. Keep you fingers crossed for me, as that's all the vacation time I have. (; Jess
kem
on 8/18/05 6:32 am - Surrey, Canada
I am still waiting for a date but I was told that with open to plan on two weeks off work. I know it will be much longer until we feel like ourselves and for 8 weeks not to pick up more than 20 pounds (tell that to my 21 month old!). Good luck on your journey! Kathy
lilchickad
on 8/18/05 11:02 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Jess, I had open RNY in October. I had about a 6 to 7 in*****ision. I work at home on the computer, and I would say I really did not feel like sitting up for extended periods of time for a few weeks. My guess would be 4 weeks. The problem was, that I got like a stitch in my side when I would sit for a long period of time. I ended up not going back to work for 7 months, because I took a hiatus. However, I had planned to go back at 4 weeks. Hope this helps! Laura
debidoo
on 8/18/05 11:42 am - lakewood, WA
Hi Jess, My doctor says 2 weeks for everyone....i hope so i have a conference 3wks after surgery! I am a nurse but i work primarly behind a desk these days. So I gotta be up to do some things!! I hope you do well and feel great, in a short amount of time Debbie
Most Active