~Janis Hayden~

Janna B.
on 8/6/05 4:08 am - Silverdale, WA
Hi Janis, I have been reading your advice to others about seeing Dr. Weber. I also will be going to the seminar on August 8th. My question is, who schedules all these tests that the Dr. wants? Me, or his staff? I have TriWest so they will be paying for everything but it has to be cleared first. Did Dr. Weber require years and years of diet history? You say to try to get an appointment with the nuitritionist to save a trip. Do you have to use the one there? Thanks so much for answering! Janna
Janis
on 8/7/05 2:37 pm - Cashmere, WA
Janna, Please remember that my 'advice' is based on my impressions, experiences and frame of reference. It may not apply to your cir****tances. that being said....... Regarding the tests.... cover your bases and have your PCP request all the tests, they will know what your insurance carrier requires for referrals. I have Medicare so I don't need referrals at all, but I am not at all familiar with your carriers requirements. Hopefully your PCP is fully supportive as mine is and will order the tests for you without question. Ask that the results be sent to Dr Weber as well as your PCP just to make sure he gets them without delay. A question you should ask Pam or Dr Weber at the seminar is "how recent each of the tests have to be to be acceptable?" Some are within the last 12 months and some are within the last 6 months. Some tests may not be required if there is sufficient documentation of a longstaning comorbidity in your record. Prepare your list of questions so you can get many of the answers you need at the seminar. More questions will continue to arise, jot 'em down. I think Dr Weber looks at each individual patients weight loss history on a case by case basis, at least that is my impression. I prepared a letter outlining my weightloss / gain history with and without Dr's approval or supervision covering a period of about 30 years. I used year dates rather than specific day/month/ year and briefly described life events, diets tried, duration of diet (when I could remember), general results and the ultimate regain of the successfully lost weight. I explained my life history of my comorbidities and how they affected my weight loss success and the inevitable regain. I did have to go through my medical records, of which I have copies to recall dates and actual weights. Dr Weber found it sufficient and accepted that as my proof of loss/gain history. If you have copies of your medical records documenting qualifying comorbidities, take copies with you to give to Dr Weber. As for the nutrition consult, Dr Weber does require that you see their Nutritionist for consultation. However, the psych consult can be done by any one of your choosing as long as they have PhD or PsyD credentials. The best 'advice' I can give is "go prepared" and "don't make excuses". Good luck, I am sure you will like Dr Weber. My next apointment is Aug 11, I am hoping that I get a surgery date at that time. Janis
Janna B.
on 8/12/05 2:21 pm - Silverdale, WA
Thank you for all the info Janis. I did make an appointment with a nutritionist in Tacoma at St. Joseph Medical Center. It is really difficut for met to keep going back and forth to Ballard. I see in his packet that it says you may chose someone closer to home. I have made an appointment for a psyche eval also. They say they know the criteria for Gastric Bypass Evals. Did you get a surgery date? Janna
Janis
on 8/12/05 3:06 pm - Cashmere, WA
Janna, Glad to hear you are moving forward with your appointments! I knew you would like Dr Weber! I did see Dr Weber yesterday and got a 'go' from him on surgery! Yea!!!! However, I will have to wait till Monday to get a date as Pam was already gone for the day and is not in the office on Friday. BooHoo! Anyway, if all goes the way I hope it does, I will be on the other side by the end of next week. I do believe that what happens, regardless of what we want, is what is meant to happen. Our responsibility is first to pursue that which we seek with diligence and integrity and second to be open to the possibilities and opportunities that are given to us and accept them with grace and dignity even if it is not what we expected. Just a side note....per Dr W's instructions I have been on a fat free diet (no more than 5 grams of fat per day) since July 1st and walking every day between 1 and 2 miles. As a result, I have lost 15 pounds! I have been instructed to continue the no fat diet and reduce my carbohydrate intake to 30 grams or less per day in order to continue to reduce the size and fragility of my liver and to continue to condition my body in preparation for surgery. I have had to come up with some creative manipulation of ingredients and methods of preparation to keep the fat content in my diet so low but have been pleasantly surprised at the resultant "concoctions" coming out of my kitchen. LOL I surprise myself sometimes! My eight year old daughter has been very observant of my dietary changes and I have discussed the health benefits of these changes with her. She is surprisingly health concious of her food choices which is so impressive to me. The whole family tends towoard obesity, and diabetes and heart disease is prevalent on both sides so she is at tremendous risk herself. I hope to instill in her a very strong sense of balance in diet and exercise and this surgery, for me is a tool to help me do this. OK I am off on a tangent again! Sorry Keep in touch. Janis
ANGEL O
on 8/8/05 7:46 pm - Bremerton, WA
Janis, hello neighbor, Bremerton here. How cool that we are 5 miles from each other. I am wairing for approval and am seeing Dr. Lauter, he is in Kirkland and is a good Dr. heard so many good things about him,. You keep in touch plz. God bless.Love and prayers. ANGEL
ANGEL O
on 8/10/05 4:39 am - Bremerton, WA
Janna, sorry about the misunderstanding. I wrote Janis instead of Janna, this was for Janna and wanting to say she was my neighbor. Thank you Janis for correctiong me. God bless you both anyways...Love and prayers... ANGEL
Janna B.
on 8/11/05 1:17 pm - Silverdale, WA
How are you doing Angel? Preop? Janna
ANGEL O
on 8/11/05 2:36 pm - Bremerton, WA
Janna, yes I am pre-op and just finished the 6-month supervised diet and submitted them to my dr. which they will submit to my insurance. I am praying by sept I will hear something. I am excited about this journey. Please keep in touch. God bless. Love and prayers. ANGEL
Most Active