I'm just starting...

kmccusker
on 8/1/05 10:23 am
the process, and thought I would say hello to some "locals" who have had or will soon be having this procedure done! My initial consult is on Aug 4th with Dr. Cho in Tacoma. I believe he's a partner or associate of Dr. Rifenberry (who no longers performs the laparoscopic surgery). I'm a bit nervous but very excited! Has anyone ever heard of this surgeon (Dr. Eugene Cho)? I couldn't seem to find any info on him around OH, although I haven't quite figured out how to work everything just yet either. It's nice to meet you all! Keri
auntlorlee
on 8/2/05 2:26 am - Bellingham, WA
Welcome to the Washington Board Keri! I hope your journey is a smooth one! We are here if you need us! I am pre-op but will help any way I can! Lori
debidoo
on 8/2/05 10:47 am - lakewood, WA
Hi Keri!! I had signed up with Dr Cho at first and then he wasn't going to do the surgerys and then he decided to do them anyway, in the meantime i signed with another surgeon. I had heard that he was good at it.... have you been to seminar by him yet? that might be a way to get a better feel for him. Welcome to the washington board. Sounds like we are in the same neck of wa state to....look forward to talk again soon!
kmccusker
on 8/2/05 10:54 am
Well now you got my curiosity going lol - why did he originally decide not to do the surgeries? Does that mean he doesn't have much experience? Who did you end up going to? Do they do the laparoscopic procedure? I haven't been to any seminars yet - my intial consult is in two days and I guess they'll probably tell me about it then. I originally wanted to go to Dr. Rifenberry, because I've heard good things about him around OH, but when I called his office they said he no longer did the GBS surgery and that Dr. Cho was the only one in their office that did. I've had a heckuva time finding a surgeon who accepts Tricare, does the lap procedure, and doesn't have an extremely long waiting list! We live down in Tumwater, BTW - not too far! Thanks for the replies!! I appreciate the welcome! Glad to be here!! Keri
debidoo
on 8/2/05 11:00 am - lakewood, WA
I think that it had something to do with the hospital not him. You are just below me I am in lakewood. I am going with Dr OH he is in federal way, however i know that he is not taking tricare right now. You could call northwest center for weight management and they could help you if you have further questions,. Rifenberry is wonderfull, I have been a nurse in tacoma for the last 15yrs and he is great to bad he isnt' doing them anymore. i wonder why. i am having mine done in sept although i would go tomorrow if i could hang in there!!
Janis
on 8/3/05 5:05 pm - Cashmere, WA
Keri, These are all the Docs I could find who have been known to accept Tricare. Check them out carefully. This is the link for checking to see if the doc you are interested in has ever had any disciplinary actions or sanctions against him/her. Use it for all the Docs in WA. https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/hpqa1/Application/Credential_Search/profile.asp S Ross Fox - Tacoma William Neal - Olympia/Shelton James K Weber - Seattle Matthew Rawlins - Spokane Preston Carter - Ft Lewis S Steele - Ft Lewis David Elliott - Ft Lewis Lawrence Schrock - Spokane Andrew Bright - Spokane James riffenberry - Tacoma Brant Oelschlager - Seattle David Watts - Ft Lewis Eggebrotten - Tacoma David Flum - Belleview Clifford Porter - Tacoma James Sebesta - Ft Lewis Good Luck, Janis
Jer
on 8/9/05 1:40 am - Milwaukie, OR
If anyone is interested in a great laparoscopic surgeon, I recommend Dr. Stephen Tersigni of Coos Bay, OR. He has done over 700 of the procedures and hasn't lost a patient yet due to the surgery. The Bay Area Hospital is great! They have 1 nurse for every 4 patients, waiting time for anything is practically nil. The nurse is there before you've even release the call button, and the are Johnny on the spot with the pain meds when needed. Had my surgery on a Tues morn and was out of hospital Thurs morn. After a little recuperating in my motel room and final check, went home on Monday, not needing pain meds after 1st 4 days. Had surgery on July 26, and my incisions are healing nicely. Only negative is that you have to be on a liquid protein diet for 4 weeks after to give everything inside a chance to heal. The protein drinks are yeech! But such is the price of progress lol The other negative is the distance. He was only 4 hrs away from me, but they have an airport right there so you could always fly in.
Hilda R.
on 8/3/05 11:39 am - Bucoda, WA
Hi Keri, Welcome ! I'll be 2 yrs out on Aug. 25th. I had my surgery through the Wish Center, (down 138 lbs, but still need to loose a little) When I was researching WLS I recall getting responses about those Dr.'s and it was positive. Good luck to you in your journey, and you won't regret all this pre-stress stuff you have to go through. The whole process is WELL worth the hassle. Just don't give up. I would also suggest you post a question of who is accepting Tricare, you'd be suprised how many others are and were in your shoes. Also, I'm just south of you and I work in Olympia, so if I can help you in any way, feel free to contact me. Hilda
kmccusker
on 8/4/05 12:26 pm
Thanks for the info and replies everyone! I went for my initial consult today with Dr. Cho - I put all the details in my profile for those who are interested lol! I think he will do just fine, but I'm definately keeping the names and info I've gathered here of the other surgeons, just in case. You never know what tomorrow might bring! Thanks again everyone - I'm really excited now, not so nervous anymore! Keri
Most Active