BCBS Federal Insurance Question

L R.
on 7/22/05 4:23 pm - Port Orchard, WA
Does anyone have any idea why BCBS FEP will cover lapband in some states but not in others? I have checked others insurance info on this board, (and other boards - Yahoo Groups) and seems it is the same plan, the same plan brochure (OPM website), same wording (covers RNY, Gastric Stapling) and the plan number (105)....whats the deal? Do I have to move to another state Mississippi, Ohio or New Jersey from Washington state in order to get the Lapband covered using the same exact government health plan???? Any insight to how this could be would be great...Thanks, lisa
Lori H.
on 7/26/05 3:41 pm - Lynnwood, WA
Hi Lisa, I am a Fed employee too, and I switched from BCBS to GEHA during open season last year. GEHA has similar coverage, but the kicker for me is that BCBS doesn't "preapprove" the surgery, it is covered, but you don't know until after the surgery if it is approved. grrrrr! That was too risky for me, so I switched. But, back to your question, I don't know why the lapband isn't covered, and I don't remember which Fed plans do cover it. um, sorry? I do wish you luck with your journey! I hope that you find all of the information that you need. Take care, Lori
Most Active