Fat Cats and Portly Pooches?

nikkij
on 7/21/05 4:46 am - Irvine, CA
Hi all,

I am working on an article on obesity in animals for ObesityHelp Magazine. Have any of you (like me) had an animal with a weight problem?
If so...
What was your pet eating when it gained weight?
How often was it fed? (did you free-feed?)
What did you do to help your pet lose weight?
Did your pet develop obesity co-morbidities?
Did those co-morbidities resolve when the weight came off?

I'd love to hear from you.

Send me high-res pictures if you would like us to consider printing a picture of your pet in the magazine or on the magazine website when the article goes to print.

Please reply to this post or send me an e-mail at [email protected].

Thanks!!!

Nikki Johnson
Managing Editor
ObesityHelp Magazine
Sarah Christine
on 7/23/05 9:58 am - Yelm, WA
I personally do not have pets that are overweight... but my hubby's entire side of the family have animals that are extremely obese. I can tell you exactly what it is they do and what it is I do that makes our pets so different (I try to advise them on their dogs but what do I know - I'm just the daughter in law) lol They all have dogs. Some dachshunds, some chiahuahuah and a yorkie mix and a lab mix. They are all obese because they are constantly fed people food - and their regular dog food (and in some cases wet cat food)...and they do not take their dogs on walks. One of the relatives even puts chocolates around the edge of the plate to make it extra special! YIKES! My Mom in law buys microwave crossaints and hot dogs and corn dogs, string cheese sticks, burger king hamburgers and roast beef etc to specifically feed to her dogs... they are so unhealthy - this includes the owners too - their eating habits are pretty rotten. My dog (Holly Sue) - a petite mini dachshund (5lbs)- is only fed dog food (I do not regulate it as she chooses to eat only every other day so it is out and available to her always) and we play with her and she goes on walks... She is also a one dog family dog - and not in competition with her "pack" for the vitals. Hope that helps some... let me know if you have any questions... Sarah
nikkij
on 7/27/05 5:01 am - Irvine, CA
Wow -- poor dogs! Do your in-laws not know that chocolate is actually toxic to dogs?!?! Thanks so much for your comments. This is just what I was looking for. Best, Nikki
Sarah Christine
on 7/27/05 7:30 am - Yelm, WA
I've told them several times that chocolate is poison to their dogs -- and they just shrug it off as if I'm a dingbat... they mentioned to me that the dog hasn't died yet from it - so must not be that bad... I have to say that my hubby's family really grates me - LOL
nowahottie
on 7/29/05 6:54 am - Auburn, WA
My girlfriend had a family Lab that ate baking chocolate she had forgotten about on the table. He then died within days. The Vet said that it was the raw chocolate and a large amount that kills, not just a bite here and there of processed chocolate. I knew a person I used to work with who feed his dog chocolate ice cream bars. You can only tell them and they have to make the choice.
Most Active