What did you do?

PamelaMarie
on 7/9/05 1:58 pm - Mountlake Terrace, WA
As I read the different profiles and posts here they leave me with some questions. Some of you did a liquid diet for a couple weeks prior to surgery. Some did not. What is the best course? What do you drink? So many things on the market. Any suggestion would be so very helpful. Thanks everyone, Pamela
Jerry W.
on 7/9/05 3:16 pm - Mount Vernon, WA
well It has more to do with what each doctor want you to do.. as for me I didnt have to do the liquid diet till I had the WLS. then it was protein drink and clear soups and the such.. you will get used to the liquid diet soon enough no reason to ru**** good luck Jerry
psgraham29
on 7/10/05 12:56 am - Seattle, WA
As Jerry said, it depends on your doctor. On the main board the question of the day today was were you required to lose weight before surgery. A number of folks replied yes. Others replied they were asked to be on the liquid diet prior to surgery. My doctor asked for a liquid diet for several days prior to surgery. Another patient of the same doctor (who needs to lose less weight) was not told to go on liquids. A third (who has lost more than I will need to) was asked to be on liquids for 10 days. From reading the posts it appears being on a liquid diet makes your liver smaller, which is helpful when getting a laproscopic procedure. May be helpful for more reasons than just the liver too...
PamelaMarie
on 7/10/05 2:22 am - Mountlake Terrace, WA
Thanks Pam for the great info. I haven't met Dr. Lauter yet but he is the one who does the type of surgery I want. Laproscopic. I am taking my husband to the seminar this Wednesday and either Dr.Lauter or his partner Dr. Montgomery will be the main speaker. I will ask about liquid diet then. I too want to be ready and I am more than ready now for the new "old" me to emerge again. She's been "surrounded" for along time. Hope all goes well for your surgery. Sounds like Mexico will be a nice place for you to "emerge". Don't you feel like a butterfly getting out of her cocoon?
findinglisa
on 7/11/05 4:44 am - Bothell, WA
Dr. Lauter was my surgeon, and he does not require any type of special diet, weight loss, or even bowel cleansing before surgery. I just had to stop eating by midnight the night before my surgery. He is an excellent surgeon, by the way. I am very glad that I selected him for my surgery. L.
(deactivated member)
on 7/12/05 7:48 am - Kennewick, WA
I was wondering the same thing. Some surgeons require that you go on the liquid diet 2 weeks before your surgery, because you need to shrink your liver for laparoscopic surgery. I think if its open RNY (once again depending on the surgeon) you dont have to go on a liquid diet before hand, but have to fast the night before and day off. I'm having open and dont have to do the liquid diet, but have decided on my own to do liquid for 3 days just to clear my system and make me feel better for surgery insead of stuffy and bloated! Hope that helps and good luck. Marlize
Tanja Y
on 7/12/05 10:06 am - Wahiawa, HI
My surgeon told me to eat light 2 days pre-op. Day before I was on liquids and I had to drink some nasty@ss ****tail that made me spend the remainder of the day running to the bathroom. ~Tanja 448/268/148
Most Active