Important Question

mvstephx2
on 7/3/05 10:16 am - Tacoma, WA
I just started going to the WISH Center and my lap band surgery is going to be approximately $15000 however after reading numerous postings it appears that with the lap band you don't lose very much weight at all and it takes alot longer. Also, my primary doctor and my surgeon are both recommending the gastric bypass for me however I don't have any more money than the $15000. I got a loan from Capital one Patient Financing for the $15000 however now I am wondering if anyone out there knows how I could get capital One Patient Financing to pay for Gastric Bypass surgery if I went to Mexico. I understand it is around $7900. I know I need to do something quickly because the Wish Center already has the money from Capital ONe. I think I could get the loan reversed but I don't know if Capital One Financing pays for gastric bypass for surgeons or facilities in Mexico. Does anyone else know? Thanks. Vicki
Mari J
on 7/3/05 11:33 am - Kent, WA
Hi Vicki. I just had the gastric bypass. I originally wanted LAP band because it seemed safer and all, but I decided that I would not be as sucessful with that type of surgery. I don't really know about your situation, except that I don't understand why you can't just have Capitol One give you the money and you decide where to spend it. I hope you can hear from someone who knows. I do think you should check out again the price in Mexico, however. $7900 sounds too low. Good luck, Mari
psgraham29
on 7/4/05 4:45 pm - Seattle, WA
I agree with Mari, $7900 seems very low. I'll be paying $14,600 - which is the high side for lap RNY in Mexico, but they do it the same way it is done in the States, including the leak test. -Pam
mvstephx2
on 7/5/05 3:28 am - Tacoma, WA
Thanks for your reponse Pam. I am just curious why you are having the surgery done in Mexico when you can get the lap band done in the states for the same price? Vicki
psgraham29
on 7/5/05 2:36 pm - Seattle, WA
I'm not doing the lap band. Having the full gastric bypass surgery (RNY) laproscopically, or lap RNY. For an open RNY in the US I was quoted$21,000 and $28,000 for the lap RNY is the US. For $14,600 I'm having the lap RNY and for additional $850 having my gall bladder out (I know I have gallstones due to prior problems). From reading what other folks are saying here on the OH site, it appears the bypass surgery will help me lose the full 150 to 200 pounds more quickly than a lap band. -Pam
mvstephx2
on 7/5/05 3:27 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Mari, Well the way that Capital one works is that they send the money directly to the provider and it has to be someone who is registered with them. Were you a self pay? I personally would like to have the gastric bypass but I am just not able to afford it unless I could find somewhere to have it done at the $15000. I did look one Capital One's website and they do not have any of the doctors in Mexico listed as being registered with them so that is out anyhow. I was a little nervous about having any kind of surgery in Mexico although I know after reading that alot of folks have gone there and are happy. Thanks for your response. I appreciate it and good luck with your post op. Vicki
thisonesforme
on 7/6/05 5:04 am - Graham, WA
I could be wrong but when I was researching who to do the surgery I believe Dr. Fox or possible Dr. Ross in Federal way have on their telephone line mexico surgery info. So not sure if they go down and do it or if some other doctor, but you should check it out. I know it can be frustrating cause I'm also self-pay. good luck
mistytat
on 7/6/05 8:41 am - Everett, WA
When I was researching information on surgery, I found more people had a normal lifestyle with the Duadonal Switch surgery. There is no dumping syndrome and you can get closer to your goal easier. I researched surgeons because I was also self pay (insurance policy exclusion). I found Dr. Heap in Eastern Washington was they guy. He's had 30+ yrs experience doing all types of surgeries and now only does the DS surgery. I had my surgery in January and have lost 89 pounds in less than 6 months. Here's his cost quote: Surgeon; $250 for consultation. $3000 for actual surgery. $250 for surgical assistant. Hospital; $8500 total package charge for all services assuming a 48 hour hospital stay, any length of stay in excess of this will be charged at cost only. Anesthesia; $750. I would check him out - he's listed on this website. Best of Luck, Sandra
mvstephx2
on 7/7/05 4:47 am - Tacoma, WA
Hi Sandra, Thanks so much for giving me this information. I wrote an email to Dr. Heap and one to Capital One Financing. I was always interested in doing the RNY but couldn't afford it so I elected the Lap Band. The DS looks like it would be just the thing for me. I am going to see about switching depending on Capital One Financing and Dr. Heap. Also, not sure what the Wish Center will do either as they already have the $15000 from Capital One. I will let you know. I looked at your profile and we have alot in common. My BMI is 55 and I also like rubber stamping. Anyhow, Thanks so much and I will let you know how it goes. Vicki
Most Active