Dr Thirlby and questions

Micheline
on 6/17/05 1:41 pm - Redmond, WA
Hey all, I was referred to Dr. Richard Thirlby at Virgnia Mason hospital in Seattle. So far, I havent met w/ him yet, but am going to a seminar in a few short weeks. Has anyone had the gastric bypass w/ Dr. Thirlby? Any thoughts, comments, concerns? I have read and heard wonderful things about him, but was looking for further information. Also, I read on the recent post that you can lose your hair after the surgery??? Is this true and if so, to what extent? Is there slight thinning or major hair loss and for how long? Hair is my one good quality!! I have long very curly hair all the way down my back and I would hate to have the surgery, get thin and then lose my hair too. Thanks for any help or information you can provide! Michelle
lilchickad
on 6/18/05 12:35 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Michelle, I do not know anything about Dr. Thirlby, but on your hair question...Some people lose it, some do not. It DOES come back. Mine thinned quite a bit, but my hairdressor and I were the only ones *****ally knew it. I am now 8-1/2 months out and it is doing fine again, not so much coming out. From what I understand, if you push protein HARD, you will not lose as much hair. I did not do ANY protein supplementing for the first 7 months. I got all my protein from food, so that would probably explain my hair loss. Hope this helps! Laura 203/118 below goal
JustHat
on 6/18/05 11:02 am - NM
At about 3 months, I started to lose my hair. It was gradual and I wasn't sure if it was just normal and I was being paranoid. At four months there was no doubt. My hair was everyone except on my head. I thought I might go bald. Fortunately, I started out with really thick hair. At 6 to 7 months, it just stopped coming out. I would say I lost about half of my hair. It was kind of weird because it was so thin compared to what I was used to. Now I am 10 months 3 weeks out. I noticed this week that it is growing back nice and thick. I started out with long hair. But, like so many others, I ended up cutting it short. By short, I mean above my sholders but not really short. My hair was so damaged that I needed to get it off. I love long hair. But, DH says I should keep it short because it looks good and I shouldn't be hiding behind it any longer. I love having long hair. But, when it comes down to my hair or my health, I didn't have any trouble chosing my health. It was a small price to pay. BTW, my hair loss may have been a little more than others because of complications and extra procedures. My surgeon says to push protein to try and help with the hair loss. But, you have to do it from before surgery since after it starts to fall out, it is too late to do anything about it. Hat
Jerry W.
on 6/19/05 12:42 am - Mount Vernon, WA
I had my WLS done by Doctor Moonka who is in the same office a Dr.Thirlby. I had my mind made up to have Dr. Thirby do my WLS till I went to the seminar and it was Dr. Moonkas turn to give the seminar and he does the WLS a little different than Dr Thirlby and that was the deciding factor on the change in doctors. As far as having it done a Virginia Mason you can ask for better nurses. They made my stay there as comfortable as I could ever expect it to be. So if you decide on having one of the doctors there do your WLS I hope your stay goes as well as mine did.. Good luck Jerry
Melinda J.
on 6/19/05 4:29 am - Seattle, WA
Hello Michelle, Congratulations on your beginning journey. I had Dr. Thirlby and I loved him! He is top notch and often teaches the procedure to other surgeons. I checked with the Washington State Medical Board along with the National Surgeon - and his really rated as a fantastic surgeon! I couldn't be happier with the care and surgery I received from Dr. Thirlby. I must warn you he does not have a strong bedside manner. He is a surgeon first and formost and he is not especially warm and fuzzy kind of guy. I have made it a point every time I see him to try and make him laugh and smile. I have succeeded, but it takes work. However to have one of the best surgeons in the United States, one that even teaches Baratric Surgery, well that is saying a lot!! Not to mention I loved Virginia Mason and I wouldn't have had my surgery done any other place. I had my surgery done on April 5th and have lost 45 pounds. I seem to have platueaed (spelling not my best subject) however, I am working at trying to budge on this and start loosing again. He wants to have seen at least a 60 pound weight loss after 3 months, so I have to somehow get my body loosing again. I have had no hair loss at all, and my nails continue to grow just fine. I do take my vitamins. However, I must admit that I am hypo thyroid and had hair loss prior to the surgery. I have a thin area on the front of my scalp. I have heard from a friend (who also had her surgery done by Dr. Thirlby one year ago and she lost over 150 pounds - looks fabulous and feels great by the way) she had some initial hair loss, but it is growing back. I think I would gladly have some hair loss than continue on with morbid obesity. Dr. Thirlby and the staff at Virginia Mason are the best. You will be very pleased, but be patient the process can be long and very slow. I wish you the best. Melinda Johnson-Dlain Seattle, WA
Most Active