Protien makes me really sick...

CynthiaB
on 6/4/05 3:11 am - Wenatchee, WA
Okay, I'm 11 days out from my RNY, and Dr. Oh has me on a liquid diet with protien supplements. I ordered a whole pile of samples from Vitalady, and I've been through most of them so far. I mix them with water only, because no milk is allowed. It's not the taste, which I'm sure is fine, but after two sips of protien I get waves of nausea, which last for about a half hour. It takes me 2-3 hours or more to get 4 ounces of protien drink in, after which I really need to lay down, because I'm very, very sick. I really don't want to feel like that all day - and all that for only 30g of protien! I can't spend 6 hours a day too sick to move! What is this all about? I'm ready to quit taking the protien, because I feel almost normal without it. I know I will soon start feeling very weak though. I have lactose intolerance, and I recall that prior to surgery, when I was on protien drinks, I would get a little nauseous, but nothing like this. I have not tried a soy drink yet, although I had some plain soy powder, which I added to my soup broth yesterday, and I had no ill effects, although it was precious little protien. Any one else experience this? Any suggestions? ...And thanks to those *****sponded to my heart-palp issue. I did go to my PCP, and he found nothing out of whack. I'm going to lower my L-Thyroxine intake, and go back to my HCTZ for one night, and see if that doesn't help. Thanks everyone! I'm hanging in there! .........Cynthia
choctaw4ever
on 6/4/05 5:17 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
HI I am about the same had my surgery on May 17th. My doc has me eating cream of wheat in the am. I mix a scoop of the vanilla protien powder in it and a splenda. does not taste to bad at all keep it soupy and make it with the 2/3 cup water first before adding powder. seems to help. Doc says he does not want me on cream of wheat forever but since I am still healing it is good for me and the powder digests a lot better. Hope it works for you. Marylou
lilchickad
on 6/5/05 10:39 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Cynthia, I had the exact same problem, and basically quit drinking protein until about 3 weeks ago. I flat out could not tolerate it. I went completely against what Dr. Oh orders and tried to just eat as much protein as I could in food. I have finally found a protein I can tolerate, it is profect, and you can find it at protica.com. I am 9 months out though, so I would just be patient, and do your best. You will get through this, and eventually your tummy can tolerate more. Keep your chin up! Laura
CynthiaB
on 6/5/05 11:43 am - Wenatchee, WA
Hi Laura! It's so good to hear from someone else with this issue. Guess what? On Friday, I ordered a case of the Profect! I had read about it on this site, and decided I needed to try something different. I'm afraid I've gone against Dr.'s orders too - I've tried mixing some Champion whey powder in with sugar free pudding, but then it's way too sweet - and it still makes me a little sick. Boy, I used to love sweet stuff - but now I'm craving meat! I really don't like the weakness and lethargy, I'm used to being a more active person. I suppose I'm asking a lot after what my body has been through. There are a lot of chemistry changes going on perhaps. .....Keeping my chins up! Cynthia
lilchickad
on 6/5/05 12:15 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi again Cynthia, I'm glad you ordered some of the profect. The very first time I drank it I got a litte queasy feeling, but that went away very quickly. It is kind of tart, but the best thing is...you get 25 grams of protein in just a few swallows. I figure even if it tasted nasty I could tolerate that, but it really doesn't, it is pretty good. Dr. Oh seems fairly strict about his regimen, although not too terribly strict on the diet. He does not seem to want you to cut out carbs and what not...he told me to eat what I wanted, as long as I felt good and got my supplements in. I guess whatever I have done has worked...because I'm finally at goal today Not bad for 8 months out (I thought I was 9 until I counted). Soooooooo hang in there, and if you need any help, just let me know! Laura 203/120@goal
Most Active