another WC question...

kem
on 5/25/05 2:19 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hello again, I was trying to wait patiently for the Wish Center to call with an update but I caved at 6 weeks and called them. They said that they just discovered that my medical dictation was lost and needed re-do it. When I had checked in with my insurer last week, no activity was recorded since my initial appointment but I had hopes that it was Mail handlers fault, not the Wish Center. My question is: did anyone else encounter this problem? I am wondering if this is just a standard excuse for them being slow or if it really could have happened. I am also wondering if I should be looking for another doctor. This is all so frustrating. For those of you familiar with the WC, they have goals (exercise, diet changes, etc) that are required to be met for 8 weeks before your pre-op appointment. I am ticked that I will now probably have to extend that time and that they have emailed me twice to see if I am living up to my end of the bargain while they have dropped the ball on their end. Okay, I see this has turned into a question plus a rant, sorry. Any thoughts would be helpful. kathy
GTaylor842
on 5/26/05 2:00 am - Port Orchard, WA
Hey Kathy, My wife and I are both going through the Wish Center for the RNY surgery. My wife's surgery was April 13th and mine is scheduled for July 19th, so we do have some experience with the Wish Center process. With that being said, I want to first say that the Wish Center is my first choice for doctors and facilities after having been through it already with Jenny. They were great and truly understood the different requirements from bariatric surgery that many hospitals and staff don't understand. However we did have quite a few hiccups along the way that almost had me going somewhere else in frustration. The initial consultation was encouraging and informative for what they wanted you to know at that time. We went on the diet and kept the diet logs religiously for the full 8 weeks (very, very, important to do exactly what they say). The day of our second appointment we both took the day off from work and arranged for a sitter for the kids and made the drive to Renton. When we arrived they looked at us funny and asked what we were there for? We told them we were here for our 2nd appt. They looked at the records and told us our appt. had been cancelled since we didn't have all our medical history which we had dropped off personally two weeks previously. They said they called but we never got any message on either our answering maching or cell phones. After some searching, they found all the records in the nurses office in her inbox where they had been for a few weeks. So they rescheduled, and we returned a few weeks later. 2 days prior to that appointment we got a call asking how we plan to pay the $2K fee at our appointment. This was a bit of a surprise and since we are mighty broke, we had to really scramble to come up with the money. These are just a few of the problems and crises that came up. But in the end, her surgery went beautifully with no problems at all. I wish mine could be done today. After it's all said and done, I would say that there are a lot of things that I would change about the Wish Center, but their doctors and nurses aren't one of them and that's ultimately what matters and why I'm going there too. Sorry for the long post, but it matters... Greg and Jenny Taylor
kristibo
on 5/26/05 3:44 am - Redmond, WA
Hi Kathy, I also went through the Wish Center and did not encounter any of these problems. I'm sorry that you are experiencing them. Fortunately for me, I believe my insurance information was sent in and I was approved within about a week and a half. After my first appointment, I actually waited about a week to start the 8 week program. I wanted to ensure that I was doing the right thing, so I waited. The 8 week program is a little overwhelming, but well worth it. I think mine ended up being about 9 weeks or so. Best of luck! Kristi 256/166/140ish
conilp
on 5/26/05 9:04 am - tacoma, WA
Hi Kathy, I also went through the WISH center and did not encounter any of the difficulties you have. I am sorry it has been difficult. I think even if I had had difficulties I would have remained with them. I researched the surgery actively for about 3 years and they had what I felt was the best track record. The care I got in the hospital was the best I have ever experienced and unfortunately I have had more than my share of serious operations. I am pleased to death with my results, -90 since Jan 11, 2005. If I can be a support for you let me know. Coni P.
beaner
on 5/26/05 2:47 pm - newman lake, WA
Kathy, I had my surgery with the wc. My experience with them has been less than satisfactory. Iwould not recommend them to anyone. I did, however, find the experience at the Valley Medical Center very good. Nice staff and good care. My experience with the wc was very similar to what you described. I'll e-mail you with specifics in the interest of brevity. The up side is that I am still very excited about choosing the surgery I did and I'd do it again. To all of you on this message board, I'm really glad I discovered you, and I've learned many helpful things. You provide a wealth of knowledge from your personal experience, and lots of positive reinforcement. My thanks to each of you. Jill
kem
on 5/26/05 3:07 pm - Surrey, Canada
Thank you everyone who has responded so far. I will see what the next few weeks hold before making any rash decisions. Hopefully all will go smoothly and I will be approved and able to keep the scheduled pre-op appointment on the 16th. If not, I will have some thinking to do. Kathy
Deleecee
on 5/29/05 10:54 am - Seattle, WA
Hi Kathy; I had my surgery through the Wish Center in Renton about 6 weeks ago and could not be happier with the care I received before, during, and (now) after the procedure. If I were in your position I would be unrelenting in insisting they help to rush your paperwork through considering it was their error. Please keep us updated on how you are doing and good luck on your journey. Donna 296/249/150
Mari R.
on 5/30/05 6:13 am - Enumclaw, WA
I had surgery at the WC 12/28/04. I had nothing but a positive experience through everything. One reason I really ended up there was the aftercare. Once you are their patient they do not abandon you--anything comes up and they are there 100%. I did have complications and they have been on top of it. I am very happy I made the decision I did. As for my insurance, I was told at my first appointment my insurance would pay. But, I had also looked into that myself and I knew they would pay. Having this surgery is a choice, and we have to be proactive and advocate for ourselves.
Most Active