Need good PCP in Spokane

MacawMother
on 5/9/05 3:24 pm
My husband and I are sitting down to fill out his new medical insurance paperwork. I need to choose a PCP in Spokane that is part of CIGNA's provider list in order to sign up. Can anyone recommend a good PCP that is in favor of WLS? My current doctor is not on the list she's not for WLS anyway. If you all could recommend a good Dr. I can search for him/her in CIGNA's list. I have to fill this stuff out asap, that's why it's a priority! Thanks!!! MacawMother
LISA L.
on 5/10/05 9:42 am - SPOKANE, WA
HI, I WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM, AND WAS REFERRED TO DR. GREG REHMANN, AND WAS TOLD HE IS VERY UNDERSTANDING, AND CARING. DON'T KNOW IF HE TAKES YOUR INSURANCE OR NOT... AND HE IS OUT ON FAMILY LEAVE UNTIL JUNE, BUT I SAW HIS COUNTERPART DR. TRAIL, WHO GAVE ME MY MEDICAL NECESSITY LETTER ON FIRST VISIT. HOPE THIS HELPS... GOOD LUCK.. LISA
Gerriann A.
on 5/11/05 5:26 pm - Spokane, WA
I have Cigna and was approved for surgery right away. My PCP is amazing! I am number of his patients who has had WLS I am sure it is more like 15-20 now. He is Dr. Larry Eastburn and he recently opened a private practice. email me and I will send you his phone number! Gerriann 170 pounds gone forever!
MacawMother
on 5/12/05 12:13 am
Great thank you for your help! I looked him up and he is in the provider list online. I found all his information, looks like he's downtown on about 5th & Washington. I've got a question for you. The amendment to the insurance policy (that talks about WLS) says you have to have been on a six month supervised weight loss program. I wasn't sure what exactly that meant. Do you know what this means? Is this as simple as going to weigh****chers? Or does it have to be supervised by your doctor? Or is this where you have to see a nutritionist and have monthly visits to them? Whatever it is I need to get it started so I can get qualified! Thanks, MacawMother
Gerriann A.
on 5/12/05 12:43 am - Spokane, WA
I am glad that you found him. Yes I remember the supervised weightloss program. I talked with Dr. Eastburn repeatedly about my weight and was working with him and doing a program called First Place at my church. Dr. Rawlns was my surgeron from Rockwood Clinic I highly recommend him. Also, he sponsers a support group that meets monthly. The next one is a week from today. (Next Thursday) It is at the main Rockwood Clinic on 5th Ave. I usually attend. Anyhow hope this information helps you on your journey. -Gerriann 170 pounds gone forever!
MacawMother
on 5/12/05 1:52 am
So, the surpervised weight loss program was not a big deal? See, I was thinking it would include me going to weigh****chers and then checking in with the doctor while I was doing it. My doctor told me I should check with the insurance company because most times they want the nutritionist visits. Maybe I should start doing weigh****chers right now to get the ball rolling. I have already lost 11 pounds (yeah!) Last night was my last night of school so now I have my evenings free to do such programs and I also have more time to jump on the ol treadmill! How long has Dr. Rawlns been doing WLS? I've never heard of him before. A year ago I saw Dr. Schrock (back when I had different insurance and was declined) and although he wasn't very "personable" you could tell he knew his stuff. He's been doing WLS for 20 years now. The only thing I didn't like about him was he only does open surgery instead of lap. The reason he says because there are less chances of complications and he's able to do better leak tests that way. All I know is I came at him with a long list of questions and I think he felt like he was "under fire"! LOL I just had a lot of questions to ask him. Do you know what types of WLS Dr. Rawlns performs and if he does lap and/or open? Oh, and naughty me! I forgot to congratulate you on your sucessful weight loss! You look fabulous! MacawMother
Gerriann A.
on 5/12/05 10:02 am - Spokane, WA
For me the supervised weightloss was easy because I have been working with my PCP. So talk to Dr. Eastburn and he will let you know. Weigh****chers does count so it could not hurt. Dr. Rawlins has been doing the surgery over 5 years. He is younger but they have not had anyone die from the surgery. He has a staff that is wonderful. It includes a nurse *****turns your call promptly, a nutricianist who tells you like it is (she can be the roughest part of the entire process), but the supprt group is the best part. The other patients of both Dr. Bright and Dr. Rawlins (they work together) love them as well. I would really encourage you to come to the next WLS support group meeting as you could ask your questions. I never felt like just a fat person who needed to just eat less and exercise more. They never treated me badly and really talked to me about the surgery and how my life would change, boy it really did. Hope to meet you there! -Gerriann 170 pounds gone forever!
cmva531
on 5/12/05 5:44 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I am seeing Kirsten Robinson at Family health of Spokane. Thier staff is great, Nice and curtious. I would advise against Family Medicine of Spokane because thier staff is rude and they don't treat all of thier patients the same in the matter of kindness. My experience is that if you are overweight or don't look certain way theytend to treat a little bit rude and act like they dont care.I have had someone office vistits that were scheduled and they called me the day of there either reschedule even though I took the day off or put me as a walk in with out notice even though I have over heard people say " Thanks for getting me in today" that kind of hurts your feeling to know tha your not being able to breate situation wasn't worth thier time. Sorry but this is my person feeling against this pratice maybe for you it might not be so bad.
Hippie Chick D.
on 5/16/05 3:40 am - Elk, WA
hi, I am seeing DR.McFarlane who does Lap RNY in dr Schrock's office. He is new to the area but has been doing gastric bypass for quite awhile. Debbie Pre-op Waiting for June date
Most Active