Visit with the plastic surgeon

JustHat
on 5/4/05 4:13 pm - NM
I am finally home. The trip to see the PS took us 8 hours. We stopped for diner once and drinks another time. I thought the trip was only going to take 4 or 5 hours each way. So, we were going to do it in a day. But, when I found out last weekend that it was such a long trip, I decided we would leave the night before. I told my boss that I wanted to leave work early. I kind of make my own hours, so it isn't really leaving early. He knew why and told me to leave even earlier than I told him I wanted to. Then he called me and said he wanted me to go to the bank for him. But, I had to sit and wait for him to call back with the info. 2 hours later, he finally showed up in the office. He was bummed out about something. It was like pulling teeth getting the info out of him that I needed for the bank. So, I not only didn't get off early, but later than usual. We got into Phoenix at 1 am. We tried to sleep in this morning. But, since the kids slept in the car and there was a pool at the hotel, they were up early. Boo! Dh took them swimming and I got online for a few minutes. I had this pit in my belly that told me that it was a long wasted trip. But, when I saw the doc, he was really possitive. He will only do tummy or breasts at a time. He felt that we should go after my belly first. So, he took a look and some pictures. Two things sucked. I hated having him take the pictures even though I have them on my public profile. Go figure. The other thing that sucked was having him "play" with my skin. He pushed and pulled and tugged and tucked. I guess it didn't suck as much as was just plain ol' weird. I don't even let DH spend that much time with my belly skin...not that he wants to. The surgeon wasn't even going to talk about my breasts. But, I insisted. I told him that if I didn't get approved for the TT, then I wanted to have the breasts ready to submit. I really don't want to have to make that trip again for a 10 minute appointment. So, he had me strip and took a look. Amazing that after all those years of medical school, the best word he could come up with to discribe my breasts was "deflated." He rolled them, tucked them and announce that implants were a must. Then the tape measure came out and he took some notes. He said that if I opted for silicone, it would cost me an extra $1000. I haven't decided what I want. But, for now, we are focusing on the tummy. We explained the time limit we have with insurance running out in Aug. I didn't take anything with me like pictures or documents of a rash. I figured he would tell me what I needed and I could send it to him. But, he said he didn't need anything. But, he is confident that I can get approved. I hate to get my hopes up now since I had pretty much decided I wouldn't be approved. Apparently he will write it up to say that I had this procedure that they approved of and paid for that is now causing me problems that will need to be corrected. We talked briefly about my out of pocket expenses. He said that after they have settled with Tricare, they will bill me. But, Tricare sets the price and I would only have to pay my 20%. I feel good about this. I also had him take a look at my rear. I don't even know if he does rears. But, he said he doesn't think it is is a good surgery even though my rear is sad looking. I should have mentioned being compared to a dog. Anyway, his reason for rear lifts not being good are that it is heavy skin that is being pulled up. It tends to pull back down over time. So, the pulling down means that the scar is really large over time and it doesn't last. Plus, the scar is right where you sit. So, it is irritating. Since Tricare won't pay for it, I wasn't going to have it done anyway. But, reasons he gave made me feel better about not having it done. For now, I am optimistic but not too hopeful. Oh heck, who am I kidding? I am really hopeful. I had heard that this doc wouldn't do a TT until I was 15 months post op. So, it seems that he is really trying to work with me. He said that he is pretty booked up. But, he would work me in. He said the paperwork should be sent off to Tricare by Monday. Oh and he said because I had an open RNY, he would do an anchor cut. On the way home, DH pointed out that it was a good thing because it will hide my WLS scar. Sure, I will have more of a scar. But, since I am not telling anyone about the WLS, I can say the scar is from the TT if someone should happen to see it. Hat
dianaism
on 5/5/05 11:55 pm - Tacoma, WA
I'm happy for you, Hat, that it looks good for PS if that's what you want. Just think though that despite the extra skin, how much healthier you are just from all that weight loss. Your boss reminds me of mine somewhat. Last week he said he was taking us out to lunch and asked me to pick out a restaurant. This week he never brought it up so I asked him about it and he said it was for Administrative Assistants Day then walked away. My co-worker and I kind of laughed that he just shrugged it off and figured we weren't going after all. Surprisingly, later that day he asked if we decided on a restaurant yet. My boss is a great guy overall, but many times he doesn't follow through with things he says. Back to your PS. I hope you get approved and everything goes well. Best wishes, Diana
JustHat
on 5/6/05 12:58 pm - NM
My boss keeps calling me his secretary. It really annoys me. I didn't go to college for years to be called a secretary. And, on the flip side, I can't type worth a darn, so it is insulting to secretaries everywhere to have me share thier title. For the most part, people don't know about the extra skin. I wear tight clothes when I want. But, they still hide the skin. But, it bugs me. I want it gone. Do you find that you look at younger girls (by that I mean 18 to 22) and wonder how you compare to them even though you are older? Wouldn't it be great to having their youthful body but the knowledge that comes with age. I was looking at these two girls today. They were much thinner than I am. But, they had a different body build. I have wide hips that no amount of dieting will ever reduce. I told DH after we left that my bones stick out on the sides so much more than theirs did. Hat
dianaism
on 5/7/05 1:16 pm - Tacoma, WA
I understand about the younger girls. Especially this time of year, they seem to be coming out of the woodworks and wearing skimpier and sexier clothes than ever. But I try not to let it get to me. When I was their age, I wasn't happy with my body even though now I look back and think what the hell was wrong with me? I looked pretty damn good. Just low self esteem I guess. I'm sure 15-20 years from now I will wish I looked like I do now, even though my now is still almost 100 pounds extra. And no matter how beautiful you are, there's always someone more beautiful. Hence the saying, "The grass is always greener on the other side." By the way, it is my opinion that your "wide" hips are a good thing. It gives you more curves and makes your waist look even smaller. Curvy is in, girl! Diana
awidick
on 5/7/05 6:58 am - Spanaway, WA
Hat!!! What am I going to do with you. You are so funny. I am so happy that you are optomistic about your TT and your PS. I hope that Tricare approves everything for you on the first try. I have my appointment with Dr Weber on Tuesday I am just dredding it. Let us know about the insurance status. Take Care. Arlene
JustHat
on 5/9/05 12:51 pm - NM
Tell him I said HI. I finally did write to him and thank him for all of his help and let him know how I am doing. Be sure and let us know how your appointment goes. Hat
Cori T.
on 5/9/05 3:32 am - Neah Bay, WA
I'll keep my XXfingersXX crossed that you get approved!
Juliaaaa
on 5/9/05 5:22 am - puyallup, WA
Good luck Hat... I hope that everything gets approved!!!! What is an "Anchor cut" ??? Julia
JustHat
on 5/9/05 12:56 pm - NM
Instead of cutting from hip bone to hip bone, he will cut from hip bone to hip bone and up the middle of my belly. This allows him to pull my skin in more directions than just up and down. But, the reason he wants to do it this way is because of my open rny scar. Since scar tissue wasn't stretch, pulling it down wouldn't work. So, he will cut away the old scar area and allow the skin to be more workable. The cut looks like an anchor. Hat
ncarter11
on 5/9/05 5:38 am - Edmonds, WA
HELLO, Hat! As usual I only have a few minutes, but I wanted to jot a note to let you know that I am thinking aboutcha and following your PS journey! You have been such an inspiration all along the WLS way. I don't get much time to read and respond to posts anymore. I miss it. When I do get a chance to read, I don't have enough time to post replies to every one, so I just don't post. WA boards were such a blessing to me while I was getting ready for approval and the first several months of postop life. It doesn't seem like that long ago. I feel bad that I don't contribute like then. Plastics... This is a part of the journey I really am foggy about. It's not something I am going to pursue for quite a while but it's rolling around in my head most days. You look soo good, Hat. Someone recently commented on your arms, and they were right -- yours look sooo fit. You'd NEVER know from your clothed pics that you ever struggled with obesity. You look smashing!! I am looking forward to reading about how the whole approval process goes. When you say TT does that means tightening of the muscles too or just removal of the skin? What's your projected out of pocket cost for the TT? Your tummy looks really flat, btw! I'm glad you posted pics of your skin. Someday, I might do the same. It's one of the hard facts when facing WLS... skin is usually an issue. Before my surgery, I remember one at-goal postop telling me that she didn't look as good naked as she did in clothes. It's true for me! My excess skin is still plumped up with some fat. It's hard to imagine no fat like yours. You have NO fat!! How cool is that? My breasts are also deflated. While it might not take 8 years of school to come up with that word "deflated" it is *perfect*. Implants a must?? If I get mine done I'm not sure I want implants. I kinda like the idea of having small cute boobs. Did he elaborate on "must"? I best get going. I miss you! Congrats on your fabulous success! You look wonderful! Hugs, Nan
Most Active