Waiting and wondering

hexaped
on 4/19/05 1:48 pm - Oak Harbor, WA
Ok, I've started the process and I'm waiting for the seminar with Dr. Weber. I feel like this is going to take forever and I'm going to chicken out. I have days when I'm SOOOOOOO ready. Don't care what the conseqences because I feel so bad in my skin. Other days I feel like I'm going to freak out about the surgery so I read other peoples profiles. Just a Hat and Vanessa's profiles have helped me ALOT. Can anyone please give me some advice to dealing with this stage...the waiting?
ncarter11
on 4/20/05 12:50 am - Edmonds, WA
The waiting does suck, Beth! We have all been there, and wouldn't want to go back. However, the waiting and the drawn out process are really a plus... this is such a HUGE change and a change for a lifetime. The time is beneficial to count the cost, be sure of the choice, consider the risks, implement changes, begin to cement a new way of life...etc. While I HATED the wait, I'm glad there was one. Each step in the process -mental, physical and emotional- and each appt or task completed helped me. As for advice... keep reading. Read the good *and the bad.* It's important to really know what you are getting into. Start moving your body NOW! Dr Weber insists on preop exercise. He won't touch you unless you are getting in 45 min a day. It's overwhelming for most patients. He suggests doing it in chunks... 5 and 10 min here and there. I suggest a pedometer... It worked great for me. I also suggest, if you have joint or back probs, water aerobics. Bathingsuits are nightmarish, I know, but you will find that the class is filled with women of all diff sizes and shapes. You will love it, promise. You will feel weightless in the water, such a relief! It's not too hard, there's no mirror and since most of the moves are underwater no one can tell is you are doing them right or in time with anyone else. It really is such a safe way to start. It's the trip from the lockerroom to the pool that's hardest and that gets easier each time. You do not need to know how to swim to do either shallow or deep water aerobics. Start with shallow water. I lost 21 lbs before getting on the table. I did not change the way I ate, I just did the exercise. My incision is only about 3 inches long (now) and surgery went very well, thanks to my cardiovascular health and weightloss. Don't skimp on yourself... if you are going to do this start working on the changes now. Start getting it into your mind that you are going to be different a year out from now. Start thinking like an active person, start new hobbies and interests that require you to move your body. I think the change from a sedentary to non-sedentary lifestyle is KEY to long-term success. You will NEVER regret a workout -- you will only regret the ones you don't do! Hope this helps! When is the seminar? Nancy Open Medial RNY 09/16/04 276/161/138 -115lbs!!
hexaped
on 4/20/05 12:59 am - Oak Harbor, WA
My seminar is May 9th. I have been walking and trying to get myself on a regime. My family knows that once the groceries are gone, it's an entirely new ball game in the kitchen. lol We are NOT going to be buying any kind of junk. The only thing I won't deprive them of is ice cream. They're kids, I thin**** cream is ok. Most of all I want them to learn to make better choices at the same time I am! I wanted to try and get all my ducks in a row before the seminar so that I'm ready to go! I'm going to keep an exercise and food diary. One of my biggest hangups is talking to my primary care doctor to see if he will run some of my tests. He wasn't too keen on the surgery and just told me to stop eating bags of potato chips. I was devastated after that appointment. But, I managed to get my consult because I had to see someone else in the office the day I went. I think someone was watching out for me. lol Anyway. I really appreciate your response. I thought I was out here alone!
ncarter11
on 4/20/05 1:15 am - Edmonds, WA
vanessam
on 4/20/05 2:55 am
Beth, Thanks so much for the compliment. I love it when I can help someone. Please feel free to email me with specific questions. Waiting is SO hard. I was luck that I got a surgery date 5 days after my consult. I would say starting to prepare for the days ahead may help with the time a little. Read up on some recipes, some new cooking ideas. The Food Network's "Low Carb and Loving It" series has some great recipes. Try and start getting in the habit of walking. My dr. was a stickler for walking after. Hey, maybe if start a scrapbook with spaces for after pictures. These are some quick ideas but I did spend a TON of time reading profiles too. Take care Beth! You will see the losing side in no time! ~Van
Most Active