I need recommendations for a bariatric surgeon

misty_watson
on 4/16/05 2:12 pm - Springfield, OR
I'm looking for recommendations for a Roux-en-Y bariatric surgery. I'm going to be a self-pay so it needs to be a good surgeon, but still affordable (less then $30,000). Thank you, Misty Watson
Chunky Dunker
on 4/16/05 5:18 pm - WA
Misty- I would NOT recommend Dr Adrian Heap, Dr. Oh or Dr. *** Can't remember his name with some guy name Sirkanth or something- But, I would recommend Dr. Andrew Bright in Spokane at Rockwood Clinic, has done over 500 surgeries, never had a leak or death.
lilchickad
on 4/17/05 4:52 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi Misty, I'm not sure why Chunky Dunker has so many negative physicians and would only recommend one, but 500 surgeries IS NOT that many to have performed. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Oh. He has done, I believe, in the thousands of these surgeries, and yes has had ONE death due to a leak. Due to this, he changed his procedure, and now checks for leaks BEFORE he ever closes you up during your surgery. Most docs wait and do a leak test the next morning. He is VERY upfront with you about his stats, in fact, when you go in to do your pre-op work. He has a print out that shows the number of surgeries that he has done, complications, and the deaths. He did my surgery 6.5 months ago. I have not had one complication, and am 11 pounds from goal. He has a VERY rigid after care program that you must follow. He is also in the nations TOP 20 bariatric surgeons. I know there are many other people on this board who would recommend their surgeons as well. There are several highly qualified bariatric surgeons in this state. I would just recommend research, research, research. Also, go in for consults to speak with the physician and make sure you feel comfortable with him/her. Good luck in your quest for a better life! Laura
pat9047
on 4/18/05 5:05 am - CO
I used Dr Bright in Spokane. He did an excellent job. My surgery was under 30,00 k (I have BC/BS so saw the totals).
Most Active