Sorry but I need to know... Poop?

Melinda J.
on 4/10/05 11:43 am - Seattle, WA
By the way, I am sorry to ask but I am at a lost as to who to ask, and my discharge papers don't mention it. I had my surgery on Tuesday, and released on Friday. I have been gassy... passing gas and all. I had a bit of apple juice in the hospital that caused me to "dump" and had immediate quick diherra - wasn't sure what caused it, had a bit more apple juice and bam - it was out of my system in minutes it seemed like. I am having normal urination, but no real bowel movements. In fact, no bowel movement except that one incident of dumping in the hospital. They did not mention it to me at the hospital, or if they did, I didn't pay attention. I have searched my release papers, and nothing mentioned. When should I expect to have a bowel movement? Sorry to be so graphic. Wondering was it normal or loose? Just wondering.... Melinda Seattle
karen C.
on 4/10/05 12:35 pm - Kennewick, WA
My Bm's weren't anything like normal for about 10 days. I think when you're just taking in liquids that's normal. I was quite loose.As a matter of fact, I found "blue" foamy stuff in my stool. Must have been something left over from the surgery. Kind of unsettling. Then I went to kind of a loose stage. I think as long as there's no blood. I just went about every two or three days for a while. Now at 7 wks I get constipated so I eat prunes and Go Lean Crunchy cereal. That helps a lot. Best wishes. Make sure you get plenty of liquid in and the other will come!
Jerry W.
on 4/11/05 4:12 am - Mount Vernon, WA
I'm 7 weeks out now and I have a BM every 3 days or so depends on what I have ate...the pain meds that you were on in the hospital can keep you from having a regular BM..What can of pain control are you on now..I read your other post said you was in pain .If I was in that kind of pain I would call my doctor and tell him I needed something more to help with the pain. I had the open RNY also but DR Moonka did mine. He was very good about the pain control I was not paion free but it was controled enough the I could move around and walk and get in and out of bed... Good luck I wish the very best for you Jerry
Cele W.
on 4/12/05 9:08 am - Eastsound, WA
Melinda, I also had my surgery on Tuesday and have been having very loose bowels, to the extent yesterday that I did not make it to the bathroom in time. I've been having very liquidy "farts" if you will about every 4th or 5th time to the bathroom since the day after surgery. They started off greenish in color and have now finally gotten to a more "regular" color and the consistency is improving. Made me wonder too. Cele
dianaism
on 4/12/05 1:01 pm - Tacoma, WA
Hi Melinda I had very soft stools in the beginning. They were extremely foul smelling and black, I guess from the iron. I'm four months out now and I'm having major constipation issues. Actually, it's getting a little better now that I'm taking Metamucil. My doc recommended I take it twice a day. I try to keep it up but forget sometimes. Last week I had BMs four out of five days which was unusual. It's usually one every three days. And when it finally is ready to pass, it's usually very hard to pass and I have to push very hard to get it out and it takes a while too. Sometimes it hurts too because the clogged end is usually quite large. Boy, never thought I'd talk poop like this with people I don't even know. Diana Tacoma 332/239/145
kimmieb
on 4/14/05 7:34 am - renton, WA
I had the same problem too, took me about 2 weeks to actually have a solid BM. Now Im 11 weeks post-op and only go 2 twice a week and that because I take Milk of Magnesia. I had the same thing, I was constantly going to the bathroom after meals. It gets better!!! Kim B. 56 pounds gone forever ;)
Most Active