Will I succeed

Melinda J.
on 4/10/05 11:38 am - Seattle, WA
Hello friends.... On Tuesday, April 5th I had the life changing surgery. My surgeon, Dr. Thirlby was very pleased with the surgery. It was so nice to have a friend from WLS come visit - Thank you Berta. I came home late on Friday. I have been in a great deal of pain since coming home. Just managing on Ibuprophen has not been so successful for me. I have had to sleep in my recliner at home. I cannot get up in and out of bed. Yesterday seemed to be the toughest day for me due to the pain from the incision. I am just trying to get my mind around it all. I must also say, no wonder kids fight adults on taking medicene. It is awful. Swallowing the vairous medicenes, masked with horrible flavors. We forget as adults that we just swallow a pill, but when you have to have it in your mouth. Ugh... I take a number of medications and sometimes that fills me up quickly. I have not yet slept through the night, but find myself sleepy during the day. I do not regret the surgery... I am thrilled I had it done, pain and suffering and all. I keep telling myself this will pass. The liquid diet seems fine, but I must be honest I have thought about foods that I so loved before, especially Dorito chips. I have chomped on ice chips and that seems to satisfy the need to chew. I really do not feel hungry, which is good I suppose. Today in the back of my mind I started worrying about "what if I don't lose weight?" I am sure I have already lost some, but it is hard to imagine really loosing the weight. The weight now hurts and prevents me from lying down. I have no way to get out of bed and due to the incision and the unbearable pain, I have just camped out in my recliner. Any thoughts... anybody post op, did you worry about losing the weight? Please let me know... Thank you for your kind support Melinda Seattle
karen C.
on 4/10/05 12:41 pm - Kennewick, WA
Melinda, Give yourself the gift of time. When I came home from the hospital I weighed the same as the day before surgery. However, within about 10 days I was down 15 lbs and it has continued to drop about 5 lbs a week since then. Follow the rules and it will work. Did you have LAP or OPEN RNY? Mine was LAP and I had very little pain. But everyone is different. You'll be amazed at how much better you feel week by week. Best wishes, Karen Post op 7 weeks down almost 60 lbs!
Melinda J.
on 4/10/05 2:17 pm - Seattle, WA
Thanks for the kind words. I had the Full Gastric Bypass with Ruen-Y procedure. My incision is huge... They weighed me in my bed, but they had to have been wrong. It is not possible I lost 30 pounds the day after surgery. The measured me in the bed, which seemed odd. I don't think it was accurate. We will see when I go back to have the staples removed on Monday April 18th. I am following the rules... but I have sure thought a lot about different foods. Thank you. Melinda B. Johnson Dlain Seattle
kristibo
on 4/11/05 5:31 am - Redmond, WA
Melinda, Glad to hear that your surgery went well. I slept in a recliner for probably 2 weeks before I was able to sleep in my bed. I think this is pretty common. It seems so hard to get your mind around it those first few weeks after surgery, but believe me, you will definitely lose the weight! I remember sitting in the recliner watching tv, while I was recovering and seeing commercials for pizza and chocolate chip cookies....I thought I was going to go crazy...but then I realized I was satisfied with the protein drinks/juice I was drinking (during the liquid phase). Keep up the faith, do what you need to do and you will succeed! Kristi 256/174/145ish
Most Active