Question for post-ops...

KuuipoCloud
on 4/8/05 6:49 am - Oak Harbor, WA
have a question for you all. As it gets closer to my surgery date, I'm noticing that I'm a bit more irritable but quiet. I've been doing a lot of thinking about how much of my life I've wasted being so overweight and how much I've missed out on and it makes me very sad. I'm also, like I said, pretty irritable. I've been a bit more snappy with my husband (I am PMSing, but it seems more than just that) and my kids and just feeing a bit 'off'. Does that make sense? I'm about 3-1/2 weeks from my surgery, does this sound familiar to anyone? Did this happen to you, too? Michelle
JustHat
on 4/9/05 5:31 am - NM
Michelle, I have spent a lot of time thinking about how much of my life I missed out on by being fat. For me, birthdays are horrible. Even this year, I was depressed and cranky on my birthday. The worst was when I turned 30. I was fat and 8 months pregnant. Everyone avoided me for the week before and after my birthday. The stress of this surgery and all of its risks is a lot to deal with. I don't think it is unusual for you to be experiencing a wide range of emotions. And, if you have been completely honest with your kids, then they are probably really worried too. I wasn't all that honest with my kids. I told them about the surgery. But, I didn't tell them the rate of death and such things. But, my oldest (almost 11 at the time) was scared to death. He held it well until the night before my surgery. Then it all came out. And, it wasn't over with the surgery. He is still raw with emotion when it comes to me. He worries about me all of the time. It is true of my 8 yo too. But, he hides it better. So, I hate to tell you, but your normal. Just try and keep the lines of communication open and everything will be fine. Hat
Hilda R.
on 4/10/05 1:37 am - Bucoda, WA
Michelle, It's totally normal to feel the way you do. l remember as my surgery date got closer, I was an emotional wreck. I felt bi-polar, up, down and all around in my head. I guess the best advice I could give you is to know, "This too shall pass" You've made a huge decision to change your body and become the person you know in your heart you were meant to be. And believe me, it was ALL worth the craziness. I'll keep you in my thoughts, good luck to you for a smooth journey and quick recovery. Congratulations on your soon to be re-birth. Hilda
Most Active