Question...

AC M.
on 3/30/05 9:46 am - Colbert, WA
Hi, I'm just starting out and am wondering how you go about comparing surgeon's outcomes and compare them to national averages. Is there a website or something that has this information. Also, I keep seeing somthing about RNY distal or --- (Can't remember the word). What is this about? What is the difference. Thanks for you help! I'm sure I'll have more questions soon, AC
lilchickad
on 3/30/05 11:38 am - Bonney Lake, WA
You are probably hearing RNY Distal or Proximal...the difference is the length of your intestines that are left intact; i.e. the amount of time your body will have to absorp whatever is taken in. With a Proximal, they leave more intestine, so you have more time to absorb...medial they leave a little less than proximal, and distal is even less intestines left. That is a very "lay" term explanation, but you should get the idea. Laura
JustHat
on 3/30/05 11:43 am - NM
I don't know of a website that helps you compare your doc with the national average. But, hanging out here and talking to other people will give you a good view of the doctors. I have heard that reading the reviews posted on the profiles isn't the best of ways to find info because OH will remove any negative reviews about any doctors. But, you can see certain trends with certain doctors. As for distal and proxal, you and your doctor will decide what is best for you. I copied this from thinnerself.com Proximal - A proximal RNY patient has less than 150 cm of intestine bypassed. Most RNY's are proximal. The Proximal patient still has a mal-absorption of food and sugar, though to a lesser extent than a Distal patient. The result is still weight loss, though it may be considered that the patient has less of a worry about mal-absorption of nutrition. Distal - This refers to the amount of stomach bypassed. A distal RNY means that over 150 cm of intestine is bypassed - the section that processes sugar. Thus the distal RNY patient does not process sugar and has a greater mal-absorption of food and nutrients. The result is a more rapid weight loss, but a need for closer watch of nutritional intake. An RNY patient may refer to their surgery as a "Distal RNY Fobi" procedure, or a "Distal RNY". Distal RNY is usually reserved for patients with a weight exceeding 400 to 450 lbs. I think I had about 125 cm of intestines bypassed. Hat
Most Active