Fat-friendly trainer & gym in Seattle

Linda M.
on 3/29/05 12:21 am - Seattle, WA
This site has given me so much support and determination. My PCP finally submitted a request for me to have WLS to Group Health Coop and I am waiting with bated breath. After reading your stories about preparing for surgery I decided to get active again, since my muscles are soft, and went to the Bull Stewart gym (206-725-7894) in south Seattle. Bull, a national weight-lifting champion, has a small, casual, low-frills gym with a focus on strength, not shape. His wife Flo, runs the front desk. One of his national female power-lifting champions is a very large, middle-aged woman. I finally got my nerve up and went in and asked if he could help me. He didn't blink an eye as he weighed me (315 lbs) and measured me (he said it was good everything was "symmetrical"!) and started me on a gentle circuit program. I have been in several times and see people of all ages focused and working on their own strength and endurance - none of those covert or pitying looks. A few of the sitting machines just barely fit my thighs, but most are open. Just wanted to share this find. Lin
mary F.
on 3/29/05 2:30 am - gig harbor, WA
Good for you to go the gym! I found it difficult to go when I was at my heaviest, I am a little over halfway to goal and still feel out of place at times, I go to the Gig Harbor Athletic Club and they have a womans only part in the back off the ladies locker room. You have inspired me to get my orientation to the machines so I can start some strength training instead of just doing my usual cardio work out.Good luck on a speedy approval!
Tanja Y
on 3/29/05 3:35 am - Wahiawa, HI
Isn't it a great feeling? I LOVE going to my gym, the trainer I work with is awesome. I actually miss it when something comes up and I can't go and lift weights! ~Tanja 448/290/148
wolfyclass
on 3/30/05 3:54 pm - Everett, WA
I found a little gym called miekos, their prices are affordable,(15 a month) it no thrills but when i went to the trainer she was soo nice and understanding of my conditions and did not make me feel like a mutant like when i went to 24hr fitness...that and personal trainer sessions are not bad (5 sessions for 150, 24 hr wanted 6 for 400)
Most Active