Post Op feelings

Melinda J.
on 3/26/05 1:12 am - Seattle, DC
Hello Everyone, I am now counting down... 9 days until my surgery scheduled for April 5th. I am wondering about the Post Op. Two years ago I had a complete hystrectomy for uterian cancer. The incision was from hip bone to hip bone almost and I remember thinking that my stomach and all my fat would fall out through this cut. With all female surgery you are told no lifting, no vaccuming, etc. It really hurts! However, I have not heard anything about restrictive motion or action after my surgery? Of course I am aware of internally and the strict liquid diet, etc. Which I am trying to prepare for, but any thoughts on the post op surgery and any special thoughts. I am having a Ruen-Y with approx. 6 to 8 inch vertical incision. Do I need to plan for any bandages, etc. for home care? How did you feel with your care? Just some thoughts would be great. I am getting so excited yet nervous as well... I have no regrets, only want it to be started and on my way to a better life. Melinda Seattle
vanessam
on 3/26/05 2:06 am
Melinda, You will probably have a lot of the same restrictions. It wasn't pain to me but more soreness. I had an epidural in the hospital so I didn't feel much. After the pain meds they sent me home with were plenty to keep the uncomfort at bay. As for bandages, I didn't have any after the hospital. I did have a binder which is elastic and goes around your waist. It helps hold the incision and your "insides" tight. There are mixed reactions to the binder, I liked wearing mine. All and all after leaving the hospital my ribs were sore. I think I mention that in my profile. That is a good way to gauge too. Read some of the profiles from post-ops, most post about their after surgery experience. All the best to you on your most exciting journey! Keep us posted of your progress! ~Vanessa
JustHat
on 3/26/05 9:22 am - NM
I don't remember the pain that much. It is kind of like child birth. I did a couple of those without meds and don't really remember the pain there either. At least with this, I had some good drugs. And, unlike with child birth, I was scared of the pain. Then I got home and had to be clear minded. So, I had to come off the drugs. I thought it would be worse than it was. And, I was back on full mommy duty the day after I got out of the hospital. The only thing I did do was lift the kids (smallest being 45 pounds so I was glad to have an excuse ) and carry the laundry up and down the stairs. Again, I could have, but it seemed like a great way to force some help. I slept on my waterbed from the first night home. My husband went to work, so my kids took turns sleeping with me in case I got stuck. I do remember taking the stairs really slowly at first. I didn't wear a binder at all. But, on the way home from the hospital, I held a pillow to hug when DH hit bumps. And, that was probably the most pain I was in after coming out of the hospital. The pillow helped, but drugs would have been better. Check out my webpage for a rant about the pharmacy and how cool (not!) I reacted to being in pain at the pharmacy. On that note, I would suggest getting your prescription filled before your surgery and have it waiting for you for when you get home. Don't scare yourself. Your going to do just fine. ((hug)) Hat
Most Active