Started liquid protein diet yesterday

Cele W.
on 3/24/05 8:27 am - Eastsound, WA
I was looking through my notes yesterday morning and discovered that for the last 14 days before surgery, the WISH Center wants you on a liquid protein diet to help shrink the liver prior to surgery. No meat, no vegetables, no fruit, no juice - just the liquid protein mixed with water or skim milk or lactaid - and water or artifically sweetened, non-sparkling waters or Crystal Light. I had gone grocery shopping this past weekend and bought myself a beautiful filet mignon to fix for dinner one night this week. Guess I won't be having that now. Surgery is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. on April 5th and every now and then my stomach starts doing flip-flops, as I continue the waiting game. I go on Monday for my pre-op. The wait is just about over and then I'll join the group on the "losing side". Cheers - it's my liquid protein drink! Cele
Deleecee
on 3/24/05 11:36 am - Seattle, WA
Cele; Congratulations! You're almost to the 'losing side'! Hard to believe, isn't it? Good luck on Monday! I'm anxious to know how your appt. goes so that I will know what to expect when I go for my pre-op at WISH on the 4th. Best wishes
Cele W.
on 3/25/05 5:37 am - Eastsound, WA
Thanks Donna, It is getting really close. I'm excited, but I'm a bit scared too. Hubbie and I went through our Wills yesterday, just to make sure that they said what we wanted them to say. I don't think I'll have any problem on Monday. The WISH Center called to let me know that the appointment would be another 4 to 6 hour appointment. Should be enough time to cover everything. I'll let you know what transpires. Best wishes to you also. Cele
kristibo
on 3/25/05 5:54 am - Redmond, WA
Hi Cele, I also went through the WISH Center, but I was not on a protein diet for the last 2 weeks. I continued with the same program I had been doing with my logs pre-op (eating protein 6x a day). The only day I had to be on a pure liquid diet was the day before surgery. I don't know if it is different for everyone, but you might want to verify that at your pre-op appt. I know that I had a steak as one of my "last" meals. Best of luck to you! Kristi
Deleecee
on 3/25/05 10:37 am - Seattle, WA
Kristi, I just read your profile update, and am wondering when you will you be posting an updated picture? I'll bet you look beautiful! Re: the 2 week pre-op liquids my paperwork says the same thing as Cele's. Maybe it's a lap-band thing? Not sure. I'll be interested to hear what her instructions are at the pre-op appt.
Cele W.
on 3/25/05 10:55 am - Eastsound, WA
Hi Donna, I did e-mail the WISH Center and the nutritionist confirmed that, yes, indeed, the 14 days of liquid protein was part of the plan. It is supposed to help shrink the liver prior to surgery. I'm having the lap RNY done - so it must be what they (the WISH Center) has decided is the best thing to do. Guess the steak will just have to wait awhile. Cele
Most Active