Surgeon recommendations

Dennis H.
on 3/23/05 7:05 am - Tri Cities, WA
I am looking at having either the RNY or the Lapband, any recommendations on a surgeon in washington. Pros and Cons
Jerry W.
on 3/23/05 10:54 am - Mount Vernon, WA
this is the place to get a lot of surgeons names.. I for one had Dr Moonka do mine he is at Virginia Mason in seattle Virginia Mason has serverl doctors that do RNY both open and lap... I can't say anything bad about the way I was treated by Dr Moonka or the people at Virginia Mason.. Anyway thats my two cents worth.. goodluck on your search Jerry
conilp
on 3/23/05 1:20 pm - tacoma, WA
I went through the WISH center for my surgery and they were all fantastic. good luck on your journey. Coni P.
karen C.
on 3/23/05 11:14 pm - Kennewick, WA
Hi Dennis, I live in Kennewick and had RNY in Kirkland on 2/16 with Dr. David Lauter at Evergreen Hospital. I can't say enough good about him and the hospital. FYI, I heard through a Richland hospital employee that Kadlec is supposed to get a father/son WLS team this spring some time. Have you heard that? I'm in the phone book if you'd like to talk. I'm doing great, 5 weeks post op down 45 lbs and don't just great. My surgery was Laparoscopic, recovery was very smoothe, and within a few days of surgery I felt better than I had pre-surgery. Karen
Darcy
on 3/24/05 12:10 am - Washington State
I haven't had WLS either, but like you I am on my journey and looking forward to it...Someday. Here is a website that you can go to to check out the statistics that they have come up with. This is something that might help you...I hope it does aboutsurgicalweightloss.com/pp/pp-testimonials-avgloss.cfm you have to put http:// and the www. in front of the link...OH won't let you put the entire link in on posts...I have no IDEA why...It sure would help if they'd allow it...Oh well, their rules. As you can see, the Duodenal Switch has almost the best outcome. It has a 78% success rate where the VBG/LAP BAND only (I REPEAT, ONLY) has a 54% rate. From all the research I've done, the DS is DEFINATLY the way to go. You have less to worry about with the DS than you do with the RNY...No dumping, and a lot less worry. Plus, you aren't entirely limited to what you can eat...I mean, there are still limitations...But you don't have to worry about eating the wrong thing and being in a crowd of people and feeling like you're gonna pass out like with the RNY. Here are some things to consider: Duodenal Switch Advantages More "normal" absorption of many nutrients than with BPD, including calcium, iron and vitamin B12 Better eating quality when compared to other WLS procedures Eliminates or greatly minimizes most negative side effects of the original BPD Essentially eliminates stomal ulcer and dumping syndrome Duodenal Switch Disadvantages Greater chance of chronic diarrhea Significant malabsorptive component More foul smelling stools and gas As with any surgery, there can be complications. This list can include: Deep vein thrombophlebitis 0.7% Non-fatal pulmonary embolus 0.5% Pneumonia 0.5% Acute respiratory distress syndrome 0.25% Splenectomy 0.9% Gastric leak and fistula 2.0% Duodenal leak 1.5% Distal Roux-en-Y leak 0.25% Postoperative bleeding 0.5% Duodenal stomal obstruction 0.75% Small bowel obstruction 2.0% In my own opinion, the DS is the way to go. If it were up to me...I'd rather NOT have the VBG than have it and wish that I didn't...Because it hasn't been a sucess. The DS lasts longer and is A LOT more effective...Where as the VBG is not. Go to the MEMBER FORUMS and then go to where it says, "ANY WLS REGRETS?" You'll see that mostly all of the people with regrets are the people that have been banded. If you have any questions about the DS you can go to http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/surgtype-forums/DS/posts.html. They are real helpful over there...duodenalswitch.com is another good place to visit. I'm not trying to discourage you from your other choices...I just wanted to give you one more option that you might not know about. Have a great day and good luck on your journey. ~Darcy
Melinda J.
on 3/26/05 1:06 am - Seattle, DC
Hello... I am now counting down, only 9 days until surgery. I am having the Ruen-Y with Dr. Thirlby at Virginia Mason Hospital. He seems to be a very wonderful and skilled Doctor. He also works with Dr. Moonka who seems to have positive responses. I am impressed with Dr. Thirlby's over 20 years experience. Good Luck in your decision. Melinda
Dreamer D.
on 3/29/05 6:50 am - Richland, wa
Hi, I am going with DR. Bright in Spokane. I have heard good things about him and my Doc. Likes him. Said hes a good surgon. She has a couple patients who have had surgery with him and all went well. Take care, Dreamer
MarinaS
on 3/29/05 3:21 pm - Small Town, WA
Cannot say enough good things about Dr. Jeff Hunter, Virginia Mason at Federal Way. He is an experienced lap surgeon and did a great job with my RNY. This is a doctor with a real soul and very skilled.
Most Active